NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Attacking Bird

Christina

Okay, I realize this is should probably be in the "Other Birds" forum but because this issue is escalating, I hope the mods will leave it here so it gets the most views and hopefully responses. As you can tell this isn't about a grey (I have my fabulous grey, but she is well behaved);). My problem is with my caique, a recent rescue, I think we have had her for about 4 months. She is fully flighted as are our two birds. She is two years old and her background is that she was in a cage for at least the last year, possibly longer with little to no interaction with anyone other than passing by her cage and maybe speaking to her. When she got here, she couldn't fly (she had her full flights but did not know how to fly). She now flies very well and joins in with the other parrots in some flying activity. Although she seems to have assimilated well, she seems to have a nervous tick, where she will bite herself if she is uncomfortable. I think it's more show than anything. We just try to stop what we are doing when she does this and let her get her bearings and then move on to something else. She has always loved my son, she likes me very well and tolerates my husband. Okay, now for the real issue. She has suddenly decided that she hates my husband will attack him as soon as she sees him. Not just a "fly by", but an actual I'm going to bite the crap out of you and make you bleed or take a hunk out of you like a shark. If anyone has ever seen a little caique in full battle mode, then you know they are a force to be reckoned with. We have tried, just ignoring the behavior (this does not work when she keeps attacking), putting her in her cage about a million times, as soon as she comes back out she goes right back for him (we could probably try this for longer, but she eventually gets through the defenses of everyone and you can only bleed so much before you loose patience), and having him assert himself by posturing as a bigger presence than her (this doesn't work by the way, she could actually care less and found it to be more of a challenge and would attack with even more vengence). I realize that clipping her wings is an option. I would prefer not to if I can avoid it as she becomes more aggresive with the other two birds when she is left with no "flight" option. At this point, I'm just thinking a clip might be in order so she can collect her bearings on her new flock. I find it interesting though that she was fine with him previously, he was never her favorite, but she would sit with him and play and fly to him to get a scratch and overnight just decided that not only did she not like him, but that he must be destroyed at all costs. I've also considered a cage move to the main area of the house and have him and her constantly be together...he works mainly from home so, he could cart her with him in her cage everywhere he goes, so they are constant companions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I felt like I could get better responses if you had all the facts and backgroung.

Thanks!

I would suggest an altitude adjustment, wing clip enough to slow her down. Having hubby stop by her cage when she is confined to just say hello, leave a little treat and move on. I think moving the cage into a more frequented area would be a good thing as well.Do you think any of this could be hormonal and the little stinker has picked you as the mate and hubby needs to be driven out? I would not use a water gun especially a high powered one, it only adds another negative into an already bad situation.<br><br>Post edited by: Greywings, at: 2009/12/09 17:09

I have a re-homed older male Eclectus that joined my family in May, 2009. He spent many years in a pet store and is a plucker and screamer. He has stopped screaming and is not plucking as much. He is usually a sweet quiet guy. A couple of months ago he became aggressive and started attacking me (I live alone) and my young grey. Dave007, Dr. Flock, helped me tremendously. He explained that Sully was hormonal and that I should protect my young grey and myself from my aggressive eclectus and basically let him cool off. Sully is now my cute guy once again for the time being anyway. There is a thread about this in the Other Bird Room and Dr. Flock, 007Dave is in the Health Room. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to problems with your greys or other birds, he's the man.

The others have all given GreYt advice and thoughts.

The only thing I would add. Is to try and give the idea of moving her to the room your husband is in most the time. Do this and see how it goes after a few weeks.

Clipping shouhd be the last alternative and would not chage the present resentment towards your hubby. She would just wait until the opportunity arose and bite him anyway.

I have a conure, suspected wild caught. It puts up with me, but loves my wife as does our Grey. There were times when I would come home, Jake the conure would fly straight at the side of my head and start biting. After I knew this was going to happen. I was prepared and just gentley swatted him away BEFORE he got to my head.

The behaviour stopped very quickly. Now he will just scream and glare at me when I first walk in. Afterwards, he will take treats from my hand. :-)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did join a parrot psychology group on yahoo and found someone who actually has experienced this with a caique. The only way to explain a caique is to tell you guys she is the bull shark of the avian world. A flighted can opener. Relentless in her pursuit of blood. This isn't a fly by, bite, and keep going so you don't get hurt. She flies, bites and grinds her beak so you will actually have to shake her off of you. I know what you mean Dave about a few blocks and most birds will back off, but a caique will come back again and again, and whatever they can latch onto they will, be it a hand, and ear, nose, neck back, butt, doesn't matter they will get it and bite! At any rate, here is what we did...a light clip to her wings. She can still go 8-10 feet before lightly coming to land on the floor. I adore my birds being flighted, but not at the expense of major blood letting. Her cage was moved to the main part of the house with intentions of her being my husband's constant companion, the treats from only him were also added. I don't believe (as she is only two) that hormones are a big factor here, but she is in a heavy molt, so that might be contributing to her ferocity. At any rate, she is a smart bird and after launching herself at him twice and not making it to him (because she can still get pretty far, he has to be on his toes and not get too close or he will be in target range)she stopped flying at him and and just postured for him. Anyone interested in what an angry caique looks like, they puff up and dilate their eyes so the main part of their eye is bright red, so she looks very demonic, if she is on top of her cage or on her stand she high steps like a nazi and paces back and forth...it is a sight to behold. Unfortunelty, she then starts to whistle the Andy Griffith theme song, which cracks us up! It's hard to take her seriously when she is whisteling that tune! I'm trying to teach her Darth Vadar's introduction, as I think that is more the song that she is looking for! :-) At any rate, she did take some food from my husband's hand and eventually ignored his presence (after he sat next to her cage for a few hours). I think we have a long road, but with everyone's good advice, and a lot of patience, I'm hopeful for a harmonious atmosphere in house once again. Thanks for your suggestions, I know this was a hard one becuase it is not a grey and most of our experience is with our greys. Although, aside from the basic differences in personalities of the different species, I think the positive reinforcement and patience goes a long way with any parrot, so that is the road we are taking. Thanks again.