NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tobie's second visit to the vet

Janfromboone

In case someone is following Tobie's trials with his damaged wing and the follow ups with the new vet I found, I wanted to post this.

He had his second trip to the vet in spruce pine today. He has been on antibiotics for two weeks and also is taking some vitamins and I have been using Aloe Juice. The trouble has been more that they grow back in his right wing unsupported and then sooner or later they get rapped on some thing and the single feather just breaks off or gets knocked out. They have lateral lines that indicate that he is also chewing and maybe weakening them. Anyway thats the way it's been going. I have removed his playstand and any high perch including his big double ring that hangs on the ceiling over his cage. Today the vet decided that the split and broken feathers left in the wing had to go. She plucked them all out under a gas anesthesia. It really wasn't that big of a deal. No IV seditive was used and Tobie didn't get upset. He woke up immediately looked around and said "Whoooooo" and now the irritation from the split feather ends is gone. The vet said that she hopes the new feathers don't come in too soon to give him time with the more comfortable wing for him to loose the habit of chewing and picking on the frayed ends and feathers. Pulling the feathers doesn't speed the regrowth in anyway, but she said the regrowth may be more comfortable. There were six stubs removed from one inch to one and a half inch long and frayed unbelievably. I feel hopeful.

Jan, sounds very much like what Beau and I have been going through. He now has 2 flight feathers coming in and hasn't chewed on them at all. Of course, he is confined to playing on the floor. It's been fun though, we're learning all sorts of new places to get into and what foraging on the ground is really like. I hope Tobie does just as well!

Thanks for everyones support. This forum has really helped to educate me and I think I am a better Parront for it. Thanks all.

By the way Karma to rbpittman. Your posts have made me accept keeping Tobie closer to the floor. I was subconsciously resisting that because he loves his high perches. It just wasn't good for him.<br><br>Post edited by: Janfromboone, at: 2009/12/09 16:49

Thanks for the update Jan. Tobie is taking all this in stride and it sounds like he enjoyed the drug induced trip he took, with the big Wooo Hoooo upon awakening. :-)

Tobie is sure a trooper, as you are as well. My most positive thoughts, wishes and prayers are for you both.

Please update as often as you have time. :-)