NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby - not eating - regressed

bodeia

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place or there is already a topic regarding this.

I'm not inexperience with greys, I would say I'm still learning though, I already have two Peaches 6 years old and Vincent nearly 3 year old. I

On 21 Nov we brought home our 3rd a baby 13 weeks old fully weaned and very affectionate as they are when little.

I expected my baby to regress a little for a day or so as both my others had when they came home. Well we're now more than 2 week home and Sophie still wants feeding at the very least twice a day and usually more, she starts begging and I have no choice as it so plaintive I can't ignore her for fear she's hungry. She is eating other food but not enough as I tried ignoring her and cutting at least on of the feedings, but she lost weight so I feed her whenever she cries now.

I've had her to the vet and he says she's healthy just to continue the feeding til she stops begging for it. I don't mind but is it alright will she get enough out of the weaning mix (harrisons from my vet)

Has anyone experience this before - I'm at about 3-4 feeds a day at the moment.

Some birds take a very long time to wean off of formula. It's not abnormal and actually, the formula is very good for the bird.

"""""She is eating other food but not enough as I tried ignoring her and cutting at least on of the feedings,

""""""

Very bad idea. She will lose weight and possibly become weak and ill. You should never decide when to stop giving formiula. The bird is the one that tells you when to stop. He'll eventually refuse a feeding which means that you will give 1 less feeding plus he other food. Sometimes, they actually spit up that feeding that they don't want.

I've known birds that are 6 mts old and still enjoying formula. It's good for the bird and creates a calmer bird in the future.

Ok that's fine I'm enjoying feeding her as it's creating a great bond, I was just concerned that she regressed so far as the breeder told me she was fully weaned, obviously not as much as the breeder thought.

As I said I already have 2 greys and neither of them regressed this much. I was concerned there may be an underlying issue.

Apart from the feeding she's very alert and promises to be a real handful, should fit right in with the rest of the flock :)

Congrats on your trio! You are very brave, indeed.

As Dave said, don't ignore the pleadings. I've found that it's a fantastic way for you to become the new provider for your grey as they expect you to be there with their food. It may sound counter-intuitive, but handfeeding adequately will "re-wean" your grey sooner (search abundance weaning for more info).

I'm curious if you are feeding the same solid food combinations as your breeder.

Regarding your concern about whether the formula contains adequate nutrition; formula is more than adequate as it is usually packed with necessary nutrients, vitamins, and fat content.

Does she have a name yet?

Her name is Sophie and she is gorgeous - still hand feeding, although she is taking less each time, she's has pellets available all day and she had veg & fruit freshly made twice a day as do my other, Peaches nearly 6 and Vincent 3 in January.

I've started making mash from veggies and offer her a some of that before the weaning food and she loves mashed brocoli, carrot and cauliflower mixed with a little red palm nut oil.

We've her for nearly 3 weeks now and apart from the hand feedong she seems really happy and settled, and promises to be a handful already :laugh: