NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Interview with Irene Pepperberg

Mistyparrot

I am not sure if is link has been posted here but just in case it hasn't

here it is

http://www.wildaboutpets.net/info/innewsdetail.asp?nid=25&ID=1183

it is a stream that should play without fuss.

I found it posted at http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/aviancognitionforum/

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/12/05 23:22

I enjoyed it too, but would like to have known the results of the autopsy. I recently saw a couple of videos with Alex in training and he didn't look that good... seemed like he was a little low on feathers, sort of like he'd been plucking, and the phrase he most often volunteered was "wanna go back". I say this with the greatest respect for all the enlightening work that Dr. Pepperberg did, which revolutionized the scientific world's view of animal (bird) cognition, but... can't help thinking that Alex, who was constantly in training, may have been OVERworked a little?

mattpatresi wrote:

I enjoyed it too, but would like to have known the results of the autopsy. I recently saw a couple of videos with Alex in training and he didn't look that good... seemed like he was a little low on feathers, sort of like he'd been plucking, and the phrase he most often volunteered was "wanna go back". I say this with the greatest respect for all the enlightening work that Dr. Pepperberg did, which revolutionized the scientific world's view of animal (bird) cognition, but... can't help thinking that Alex, who was constantly in training, may have been OVERworked a little?

If you read Irene Pepperbergs books you will understand that Alex was not constantly in training. He had a great deal of contact with Irene and her lab staff but it would have been mostly on his terms. It would have been pointless to force him. It is not true that the phrase he most often volunteered was "wanna go back"

. He did say that when he was being filmed for an interview but it is unrealistic to extrapolate from that his normal reaction to training. You simply cannot teach a bird that does not want to cooperate. He had very regular veterinary check ups and was very well looked after, He did go through a spell of plucking that if I remember correctly began when Irene had to leave him for a few weeks. He developed a habit that as many Grey keepers will tell you can be very hard to stop.

I believe he was clipped and I personally believe this can also lead to plucking.

He had had a veterinary check up only a few days before he died. At that checkup no problems were revealed. I understand that the autopsy is avaiable on the Alex Foundation website.

Steve n Mistyparrot

Alex was a plucker from the time he was 3 yrs old until he died. She had him from that age.

She's now working with 2 other greys Griffin, Wart. One of the greys ( Griffin) is also a light plucker.

Alex died of hardening of the arteries (arterial sclerosis.)It's not an exam that Vets can diagnose nor is it ever looked for.

The necropsy results were made public 3 weeks after he died.

He was in training 4x a day--5 days a week. Each session was approx 1 hr long. He was in the constant company of labratory assistants 7 days a week.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/12/06 22:51

I don't know if I would say I'm a star. I just wanted to know how she fed Alex and Griff the tofu (raw, and like mine, they devour it and will try and steal it from your hands like a special treat).

I asked about her opinion of the captive bred all-red african grey (didn't get to hear the response due to work, will check podcast).

The last one I asked but wasn't "asked" perse but she answered it anyway and that was do you advocate traveling with your parrot, like to work or out on walks? The answer to that was "yes."

I always laugh at the tofu you feed the girls Chris - as a veggie I can think of nothing worse!! Just as well the parrot doesn't have the same taste sensations that we do! Soggy bits of sponge - bah!!

I know you swear by it to calm them in their hormonal times - but it's still minging!! :laugh: