NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question About Mating Behavior in Rescued Grey

Annias

Hi Everyone, I rescued my Grey over 1 year ago. When he is on the floor playing he tries to "mate' with tin cans, and if I'm near my foot. I have taken away everything that he like to "mate" with and go near him when he is on the floor only to pick him up. By the way he loves to be on the floor walk around, etc. Anyway, I have become suspicious that this bird background was misrepresented to me. I got him from a breeder in Wisconsin. He was shipped to me, the breeder had no baby greys available when I called to inquire, but told me about this wonderful rescue bird. A woman died and her family "sold" the bird to him, as they could not manage him. He said he bought the bird as a good deed, as he knew he could find him a home and get him out of the not good situation with the family that inherited him. He was supposedly a fantastic talker, gentle, etc. He does talk but rarely, which is fine, he makes great whistles, kissing sounds, and does talk occasionally when alone in his cage. He bites, and hard, but in a manner I can predict, so after learning his body language and what results in his biting he rarely to never bits me, but I have to caution other that they handle him at their own risk and of course never allow children to handle him. It is only when handling him that he bites. When he does not want to get out of his cage and I need him to, I use a wooden perch to get him out. But I do this so rarely as he shakes at the sight of the perch and immediately will get on my finger, giving me the feeling that someone hit him with a wooden perch in the past. I am starting to feel fairly certain that this breeder bought this male grey to breed, but it didn't work out and so he sold him as a pet. I love my guy, and am only very concerned that if someone had bought him, because they had to have a talker, which is what the breeder told me, this is great because you will know you have a real good talker, he said he spoke over 200 words, and someone who had kid, etc. This bird would have been placed in the wrong situation. I feel very angry he would be so irresponsible. Again my idea about the true story is something can't prove. I wondering what, if anything, I should do regarding my belief that this bird was misrepresented to me, and the fact that this is being done not by just a one time individual that is giving up their grey but by a breeder who could do this in teh future, the manner in which this breeder raised his babies, or represented he did, made me comfortable adopting sight unseen. My thought was that he would not hurt his reputation in this arena by misrepresenting this bird to me. Anyway, I know this is a long post, just wondering if any of you have thoughts, similar experiences, or advise on this matter. Thanks so much

You first need to tell us what the age of the bird is. It also seems like you may have to contact the seller and inquire about the bird's past status. He may be a bird that has many ingrained habits which many pre owned birds have.

"""""He was supposedly a fantastic talker, gentle."""""

That may not be true.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/12/05 20:05

Hi Thanks for your response, he is 13 years old, and I did send the seller an email informing him the birds behavior differed from what was represented to me, and asked him to give me as much history on the bird as he could, as it was in both mine and the birds best interest. He informed me he had already told me every thing he knew and that the bird had been one of his friends, children's and his favorites. To me that implies there is something about me. I keep my Grey in a large cages by design cage, feed him avian naturals food, furits vegetable, toys and outside cage time galore, give him head scratched, talk and play with him, socialize him, and have a "room mate" meaning same room different cage for him of a male eclectus. In other words it is a good environment, So I know that is not it, it just pains me that he could have ended up in a home that would not work with him as he had been misrepresented. I'm wondering what if anything further I should do to make sure that others know the risk of dealing with this breeder. He may raise and sell wonderful babies, but if as I think is likely he misrepresented my bird to me, I am concerned about him. Thanks for you patience with reading through my long posts.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

sounds like another mean breeder. :evil: be glad u got ur grey out of his clutches B4 he invented some other jerkish way to get rid of him. i would warn others of his not so caring businesss practices. this guy is probably just trying to unload his breeeder greys because people arent into buying baby parrots at such a jacked up price because the economy is crumbling daily. i guest that there little birdlings are not exactaly as profit able as they used 2B.