NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what does everyone line their bird cages with?

Codys Mom

I use cedar shavings...my understanding is it also helps with mites. I buy a big bag and keep it in a rubbermaid tote. You do have to change it a few times a week...but it also keeps the room smelling fresh!

I do not suggest using the ceder shavings-first of all it is most unusual for a Grey to have mites and secondly they are toxic. Cedar Shavings - Cedar shavings contain ingredients which can be toxic to birds. Even their aroma is caustic. They can cause dermatitis, allergic symptoms and irritation of the digestive tract. They also make it difficult to examine your bird's droppings.

Corn Cobs - Once ingested, corn cobs can remain in the body for years before causing illness or death. Ingested corn cobs absorb moisture and swell, which can cause impaction, bleeding and death. Baby birds can also develop bacteria and yeast infections from the ingested material. When wet or in humid climates, cobs can grow Aspergillus molds which cause a respiratory disease in birds. This disease is difficult to treat and can be fatal. The cobs will also absorb moisture from your bird's droppings, promoting growth of organisms and hiding loose poops. It's a poor material for examining droppings.

We should all check the droppings daily as it can be our first indicator that our bird may be having a health issue.

I also use newspaper... Does anyone think it would be bad to line the cage with newspaper on TOP of the grate, where he could get to it? It's just that his poop sticks to the grate and it becomes nearly impossible to clean once it dries...

That is what I do it gives some of them some thing to shred and it makes for less grate scrubbing as well. I often layer newspaper and just remove the soiled layers as they day progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Puppy pads are a great idea! I mostly use the ad section of the newspaper because Francis loves to look at the pictures, but I have tons of puppy pads around so I may try that.

The other thing I've used is the brown paper I get at Lowe's that's designed for painters to cover floors with. You can get big rolls of it for quite cheap, we keep it for all kinds of tasks. It's easiest to just make a cardboard form the size of your cage tray, and cut many at a time so you just have a stack of papers to grab from each day. The brown paper looks nicer than newspaper, I must say.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the U-Haul packing newsprint - it is a nice consistant light grey colour and as a new mom, watching the poops has become an important part of my day - the box of 10lbs, with hundreds of sheets is under $10, two sheets per day, and is darn close to the same size as the cage, so just a quick fold over of the edge and voila. Much easier and cleaner than the corn cob I previously used. Thanks for asking :)

I use newspaper over an old towel. Both get replaced daily or if soiled. The towel cushions Lulu's fall, if she is a failed gymnast. Now that she is older, less of a problem. The U haul newsprint sounds like a good idea.

lot of people have papers just ask if they can save them for you like i do :) got some many now i can`t use them quick enough and whats more they are free means more money for food and toys for the fellows ;). I did at first use chippings but then changed as for the reasons above if you miss any poop this isn`t good for the birdies with paper you see it and there for makes you change the paper more times than chippings!

• 1 month later...

We just ordered three boxes of the U-haul paper (by ordering 3, delivery was free) over the internet. It came about a week later, and it really works nicely, rather than the puzzle piecing of newspaper sections.

Thanks so much for the idea!

I use to use newspaper for the cage, I still use it for his stands, but I just bought some white cage liners from the bird store, I think they come from Kings Cages, and I love them even though they are not free! They are so much easier to lift out and put in than news paper, and stuff does not fall out from between the papers like news paper when cleaning.

We use newspaper to line our cages. I know a lot of places say it's not safe to use the newspaper because of the dyes or something in certain colors not being safe. However, all of our birds' cages have those grates across the bottom, that sit high enough that the birds can't get to the paper at all. I've also heard of using silicone mats (which I'm assuming gets expensive) but it may be worth it, if all you have to do is wipe it down! :)

I received the 60# paper today. It is just what I was looking for. It is heavy enough, that is, it has some substance to it (no pun intended). it is a 600 foot roll and I bought the cutter as well. I cut 5 sheets tonight, put them in the cage and voilà... Good to go.