NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A FEW THINGS TO ASK

hill

The first is that buster has started to throw his food out of his bowls in a playing manner is this normal or a problem. The second thing is buster is not really hand tame but will come is with you and play but not hand tame the problem his claws have started to get long and sharp how can i get the cup is it a vet trip or can i do them with a little help

thanks martyn ;)

Hi Martyn,

I wouldn't advocate you attempting to trim your grey's nails right off the bat. Like cats they have a quick that you can't see and it will bleed profusely if you cut into it.

It would be best to make a trimming appointment with your vet, they'll file the nails and beak usually for a flat fee. I'd ask to watch them, even ask if they can show you how to do this on your own. Just be very very careful if you do.

As for food throwing, it's something that my female used to do before I got new bowls. She'd just dump the entire bowl and giggle, I think she thought it was funny. Perhaps he has too much food? Try giving a smaller portion and see if he still plays, but don't starve him!

How old is Buster? Why hasn't he been hand tamed? I have a 10-year old female who was trained to step on an arm of a stick, and I've managed to get her hand trained in under 4 months. It's not hard but you must realize that this animal is going to bite you, it will make you bleed, and it's a learning process.

Talula has a larger stance than my other grey and my hands, despite being big, are a little small for her. So she uses her beak to balance herself on my thumb when stepping up. I think she did this with the last family and it scared them, or she may have bit them and they dropped her. She's not "afraid" of people but she's afraid of peoples' hands.

Good luck!

All parrots throw food out of bowls. They will do it with their beak and also sometimes pick up a talon full and just toss it.

Most often it is food they are not interested in and want it out of the way so they can get to what they want. Sometimes, it is just something to go. :-)

The hand taming will come with time and patience as you build trust with your Grey. Give it treats etc. :-)

Oh yes food flinging is a greys top entertainment,most if not all do it.Go to the vets for a nail trim, much safer and not that expensive. It is also a good opertunity for your vet to see the bird and maybe get advise on diet and care at the same time.

Read JillyBeanz post on Broccoli throwing !!!

Rishi has just finished his pellet throwing game 5 minutes back where he throws each pellet in the bowl and I pick them all up and put them back and then he meticulously throws them out again one by one. I realise that this is turning into a game and I need to stop putting them back !!!

It may be better to have the nails filed and not trimmed.

The second time I trimmed Rishi's nails, I cut one to the quick and it was a blood bath. I have read that if the cut is bad they can even bleed to death that way.