NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm so proud of myself

Tycos_mom

My next door neighbour came over tonight and asked me if I wanted an African Grey I dont know if its a Congo or a Timnah I didn't ask. She said the poor bird is living in a very small cage and never gets let out apparently the woman that has her has disabilitys and allergy and she also is sick with the Swine flu right now and with the African Grey there it is making everything worse for her. So she wants to rehome him. I must be totally over my MBS because I actually said no. For one thing I don't want the Swine Flu virus any where near me or my birds. I told her that she better tell her friend to stay away from the bird because the bird will catch it she didn't believe me I don't think. anyway I think her husband is basicly caring for the bird at th moment so hopfully the bird won't get it. I at my birdy end though I just can't take on another one especialy one that would need a new cage and to be vetted even if the bird is free its just to close to Christmas and I just put out 2500. for Chatot and a new cage for him. there is just no way I could put out another 1000 dollars right now. Iam proud of myself for saying no usually I would say yes and worry about where I was going to come up with everything later. I guess what it boils down to is that I just don't want or need another bird the ones I have already are plenty for me. the Macaws are need allot more time than my other birds do they really like to cuddle and interact with their human companion

Wow Pat, that must have been a hard thing to do.

I know what you mean though it could go on and on, we need to know when to stop!

Well done for being so strong, I dont know what I would have done but like you say, you have extra work with the big birds now and we have to draw the line somewhere!

Who am I to speak though,I still have my eye on a rescue Cag, but think it just might be too much for me, it would be great if I had a bigger house but I cant see me winning the lottery so I think I have to say no as well.;)

Pat you are not turning away from the bird in need, you are turning toward your own birds and their needs that will go unmet with the addition. I am very proud of you to know your limit and face hard choices knowing it is best for you and your flock. I have to say, it is hard to know there is any bird living in conditions we wouldn't envision for our own, my own heart is trying to get my brain to agree to help out another. You have my admiration for your strength and foresight.

Its very hard I wish people would stop telling me about these birds in need. I reall can't take any more i'm at my limit. I always try to stay at around 6 bird I can handle that many no problem thats my limit and I'm sticking to it If My daughter Tuesday had not taken Sprout and Raja when she moved I would not have taken Darius and Chatot 6 is a nice number of birds its just the right amount for me. I think we all know what we can deal with and what we can't some can have 20 and be fine with it I'm a six bird person I have had up to seven but I found that one bird always got less attention and thats not fair so 6 is it. I have 3 Macaws 2 Greys and 1 Amazon.

I too am proud of you Pat, you realize you can't save them all and you owe it to the ones you have to give them the care and attention they deserve, you are a good woman who knows her limits. I hope that grey finds a good home very soon and you can rest easy knowing its going to be taken care of.

Stick to your limits my dear. You're an inspiration. No one can save them all. People tell you about other birds because, like people who like computers and get harassed about everyone elses' computer problems, those you meet feel you must know how to properly care for them and thus you might take in one more or try and find it a suitable home.

it's really a compliment but i understand exactly how frustrating and draining it is at the same time.

stand your ground. 6 is a beautiful number.