NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP! My Bird is Sick & No Avian Vet Here !!

Nemo

Hi:

I have a Gray that I hand fed and raised since he was 8 weeks old. He is now 8 months and we have spent every day together. He sits next to me when I eat and I share food with him and we have (had) a perfect relationship.

Yesterday he quietly woke up and I still wanted to sleep more. I had a motorcycle accident 2 weeks ago and have a broken collar bone and 5 broken ribs. But I am up and about now. His cage is in the corner of the room and it is a neat custom built wood and wire Pagoda operation with a loft that he can climb up into and sleep. He has to sleep laying or squatting down up there, as it is just a crawl space.

When I woke up I called him and he started to climb down. He had trouble as if his right foot. It was like it fell asleep while he was napping. He is normally an energetic, robust bird....talking, whistling and generally hopping around.

All day yesterday he just sat in the same room with me and looked sick. He could not walk on his right foot. It was like he had no power in his leg. He could move all his toes and I could bent his leg at the knee and ankle, but he just stayed on his left moving himself with his beak and left foot.

He is eating. Apples this morning, some seeds and I just gave him some cut corn which is was eating. His stool looks normal.

Now he is trying to climb to the top of his Pagoda Cage so he can stretch his wing and legs, but he seems to have no energy. He has stopped talking and chattering. If he wants to be left alone he can still squack. What could be wrong with him ???

Last night I checked the internet and found an Animal Hospital who said the knew about birds. I packed him up and rode my motorcycle up there. When he was there he perked up and ate some seeds and even pooped for the doctor. That was the extent of the doctors knowledge.

When I got him home he went right back to acting sick and having no power in his right leg or foot. He can move all his toes and grasp weakly with it.

Can anyone advise me on what to do ?? I want him to come back.

You need to get your bird to an avian vet.If you cant do this go right back with the bird to the vet who has already seen him. Ask this vet to arrange a phone or fax or email consultation with another avian vet. Birds often hide illness well as yours did at the vets but he is ill and needs to be seen asap by a vet.

Please contact the vets again and do what Sheila has advised you to do.

I also dont have an Avian vet nearby and have to travel if the birds have something wrong, how far away is your Avian vet.

It would be guess work for anyone to give you advice on whats wrong with your baby, he desperately needs help!

Good luck and please keep us informed.

I did as everyone suggested and I am taking the bird in tomorrow morning. i think I have a possible answer to the problem. The bird was chewing every cord in my place so I put a bag of old computer cables and parts by his cage so he would not chew a live wire. He found an old computer mouse and chewed it to pieces and started playing with the ball. I think the ball is made of lead. I think the bird has metal poisoning. I will keep you all update. I know you all care. That mean a lot. Thank you so very much. Nemo

Oh dear that is bad news, they are so good at getting into what ever is the worst thing for them. Sending some good wishes your way. You might see if he will take a little peanut butter and oatmeal to help bind some of the lead, I know some excellent Avian Vets who suggest doing that until you can get the bird into the office. Wishing all the best for your Grey friend.

Nemo wrote:

I did as everyone suggested and I am taking the bird in tomorrow morning. i think I have a possible answer to the problem. The bird was chewing every cord in my place so I put a bag of old computer cables and parts by his cage so he would not chew a live wire. He found an old computer mouse and chewed it to pieces and started playing with the ball. I think the ball is made of lead. I think the bird has metal poisoning. I will keep you all update. I know you all care. That mean a lot. Thank you so very much. Nemo

This story now has a few twists and turns. Last night I called my friend Don who was out drinking and asked him if he knew an Avian doctor in town. Don had a bird show in Hawaii and still rides around with a big Rainbow McCaw on tha back of a motorbike I sold him a few years ago. He took time out to ride home and give me the phone number of a doctor who put an ID chip in his bird. I called the doctor this morning and he sent a mini van to my condo with 2 staff members who collected samples and drove Angel and me back to the clinic. Angel was in bad shape this morning. I had to get up several times during the night to give water and a few seeds. When we got to the clinic I met the doctor who told me that he had been a vet for 15 years. He spent the first 5 working with elephants and tigers at one of the zoos close by. He said that he then worked for a clinic near by and that he now owned this clinic. He was a chubby, jolly guy with some sparse long hairs growing from his chin. He X-Ray'ed Angel and spotted some metal pieces in the digestive tract. He said he thought the bird was not poisoned as I first thought but we needed to get the metal out of the bird a.s.a.p. He gave me some activated charcoal, some Milk of Magnesia and some Vitamin B12. The total bill came to $12.50 which included a ride home. He gave Angel a positive prognosis. Angel is up now and eating seeds and apple. Someone was watching...and I feel wonderful. Thanks to all.

I'm so glad to hear Angel is doing better. Well done for going that extra mile in looking for a more suitable vet to treat your bird. The Doctor you found certainly went above and beyond the call of duty to treat your bird!! Now you know who to call if he ever gets sick again.

Please be extra careful with what you allow Angel to play with in the future - there are so many household items that can harm our greys, we all have to be extra vigilant!

Here is a page I found which has a list of items both safe and non safe for your bird!

http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/

I hope Angel makes a complete recovery.

Lyn & Alfie

Nemo wrote:

Nemo wrote:

This story now has a few twists and turns. Last night I called my friend Don who was out drinking and asked him if he knew an Avian doctor in town. Don had a bird show in Hawaii and still rides around with a big Rainbow McCaw on tha back of a motorbike I sold him a few years ago. He took time out to ride home and give me the phone number of a doctor who put an ID chip in his bird. I called the doctor this morning and he sent a mini van to my condo with 2 staff members who collected samples and drove Angel and me back to the clinic. Angel was in bad shape this morning. I had to get up several times during the night to give water and a few seeds. When we got to the clinic I met the doctor who told me that he had been a vet for 15 years. He spent the first 5 working with elephants and tigers at one of the zoos close by. He said that he then worked for a clinic near by and that he now owned this clinic. He was a chubby, jolly guy with some sparse long hairs growing from his chin. He X-Ray'ed Angel and spotted some metal pieces in the digestive tract. He said he thought the bird was not poisoned as I first thought but we needed to get the metal out of the bird a.s.a.p. He gave me some activated charcoal, some Milk of Magnesia and some Vitamin B12. The total bill came to $12.50 which included a ride home. He gave Angel a positive prognosis. Angel is up now and eating seeds and apple. Someone was watching...and I feel wonderful. Thanks to all.

Thanks for all the good wishes and help from the good Gray Lovers on this site. Angel is recovering and now I have to take care of myself. Talk to all of you soon. God Bless you all....Love Nemo and Angel !!<br><br>Post edited by: Nemo, at: 2009/12/03 13:36

Nemo wrote:

Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Thanks for all the good wishes and help from the good Gray Lovers on this site. Angel is recovering and now I have to take care of myself. Talk to all of you soon. God Bless you all....Love Nemo and Angel !!<br><br>Post edited by: Nemo, at: 2009/12/03 13:36

Just a quick update on Angel's condition. 100% improved. No sound yet and moving slowly. The patient was great about taking medicine all day. Now we are going to sleep. Here are a couple of pix of Angel. In the one with a perch is where Angel sits every night and shares my food and watches TV with me. Angel has to be in the same room with me all the time. Angel never bothers me unless invited. This is a GREAT bird. I'll bet we all feel that way about our Gray's. Goodnight all !!! I have to edit the photos so they will have to wait until tomorrow.....we are tired.<br><br>Post edited by: Nemo, at: 2009/12/04 15:20

Nemo wrote:

Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Just a quick update on Angel's condition. 100% improved. No sound yet and moving slowly. The patient was great about taking medicine all day. Now we are going to sleep. Here are a couple of pix of Angel. In the one with a perch is where Angel sits every night and shares my food and watches TV with me. Angel has to be in the same room with me all the time. Angel never bothers me unless invited. This is a GREAT bird. I'll bet we all feel that way about our Gray's. Goodnight all !!!

Nemo wrote:

Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Just a quick update on Angel's condition. 100% improved. No sound yet and moving slowly. The patient was great about taking medicine all day. Now we are going to sleep. Here are a couple of pix of Angel. In the one with a perch is where Angel sits every night and shares my food and watches TV with me. Angel has to be in the same room with me all the time. Angel never bothers me unless invited. This is a GREAT bird. I'll bet we all feel that way about our Gray's. Goodnight all !!!

My internet has been out for a week. Here is an update on Angel. My bird is back to being a bird. He sort of leans to the left putting his weight on his left foot. His right side is weaker than the left. I think he had a high fever and some of his speach is mixed up. He doesn't sing or squawk any more, but he whistles and does his cat calls. But he now sounds like and owl. I think the fever affected his brain. But he is moving around and flapping his wings. I hope he will come back to earth. If not he will never fly. But he still loves apples and pizza. So many of you have taken the time to leave me messages. It is heart warming. I read everything to Angel. We both thank you. Cheers.

Here are two pictures of Angel. One was taken when the poisoning was 1 day old. One week or so later Angel was ready to eat Pizza and sit next to me watching TV and eating. A good recovery that is still ongoing. Angel has a new bunch of sounds and no words. He is still weak and is getting his strength back. It is like he got hit with lightning. But he is great fun again. Angel_Very_Sick.jpg

Angel_Very_Sick.jpg