NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

safe space heater?

ZivaDiva

I need to buy a space heater for the living room for my birds. How can I be sure it's safe? I know I can call the manufacturer but how do I know the person on the phone knows what I'm talking about? Do I just ask about "Teflon" or is it called something else?

I'm vegan and often call companies to see if their food contains animal products and I've been given incorrect information before.

The wrong info could be deadly to my birds so I want to make sure.

Actually it's for my other birds that don't include my grey. Why is it not a good idea?

I'm not sure of the temp but it's low 50's, high 40's and feels really cold. Everyone is covered up well at night but I have 2 lovebirds that are pluckers and I'm concerned about them.

I use a space heater in my bedroom with my grey, Z, and have not had any problems. That was before I knew about the teflon issues. If I don't have it on, he says, "It's too cold in here." I turn it on and he's happy.

I'd suggest one of the ones that uses water, like an old style heater, but is portable and electric.

That should be the safest best.

I work with a lady whose had a wild caught Amazon since the late 70s, I think 77 or 78, and he has had a space heater (coil kind I believe, old school) every winter and he's in his 30s now at least.