NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More Questions About Your African Grey

CuteMandaPanda

Other than the typical "AG Scream" are there any other vocalizations that you've associated with nervousness or fear? Or even curious? Baby make a basic chirp noise a few times when on his stick being carried somewhere or when in a new room. Could this chirp be a scared chirp? I'm having trouble distinguishing his vocalizations.

Also, when we are within eye sight, we usually have Baby's cage door open so he can come out when he wants to. However, he's not always anxious to. And lately, he's denying the stick that he so much trusted to be removed from his cage.

It's almost a month that he's been living with us. He used to come out of his cage on his own and also more willing by using the stick? Could this just be another phase he's going through? Do you think he'll come around again? I'm just paranoid that he may not like coming out of his cage and become a bird that prefers being inside his cage. And if something outside of the cage scares him, I wish he could tell me because what if that's why he's not thrilled about coming out of his cage?

You have had him a month now and I think he is becoming more independant. Just open the cage and let him go in and out as he wishes. Dont force the issue with the stick.Will he step on to your hand?if not that is the thing to work on.

No, his "before mommy" used the stick so that is what he's accustomed to. He wants to bite and refuses a step up by hand unless he's on the floor to be retrieved. I hope one day, he'll give up the stick but only to switch to stepping up by hand...not the opposite and instead giving up the stick to simply refuse coming out of his cage altogether.

I think the honeymoon period is over and he's asserting some independance, like She said. Dorian was totally cage bound when he arrived here, and there are still days when he prefers to sit all day inside. Choose your battles. Letting him hang out inside the cage lets him have some control over how he spends his day. You have to be the boss when he's somewhere or doing something dangerous, but otherwise let him have some control.

Make being outside the cage fun. Play with a favourite toy where he can see you, save a favourite treat that he only gets when he's outside. Don't hang around begging him to come to you. Just go about your business and every once in a while ask him if he wants to come with you. I had an animal 'communicator' come and meet Dorian this summer. The best advice she gave me was to treat him like he's already the bird I want him to be. I stopped asking him for 'step-up' because he had a fear response to those words, and started asking him if he wanted to come out with me. Basically, the only thing that really changed was my emotions when I approached him. Instead of being nervous or hopeful when I went to him, I was calm, and instead of being sad or frustrated when he didn't respond I could just say ok, maybe next time, and I went about my business. What happened was Dorian chose an outside perch that he would go to and call to me when he wanted off of/out of his cage. From that perch all I have to ask is does he want to come with mommy and up comes his little foot:)

As for the chirp, Dorian does have a little chirp he uses when he's scared or tired. Walk him around and see if there's anything in the room that he leans away from or shakes as you approach. Something might have moved when he wasn't expecting it to and made him afraid of it. You're doing great, it just takes time to learn each others ways.

Acapella gave excellent advice and from experiencing a Grey much like your own.

She described key components of being successful in helping your new grey overcome the issues within.

1 - Your emotions. They are very keyed to your emotions. If your apprehensive, nervous etc. They will be also. If our relaxed, calm and happy, they will remain calmer.

2 - Fear inducing items. See if you can find the item(s) that may be inducing fear in your grey.

3 - Make your Grey want to come out of the cage. A favorite toy or new one similar to it. A treat that is looked forward to etc.

4 - When your grey does come out of the cage. Do not do anything that will make it a fear inducing experience. If you see the breast feathers quivering. He is scared or nervous. If you know trying to get him to step up induces fear, don't do it. Let him feel at ease and just get to know that you and your surroundings pose no threat to him.

Once you get all these things going. The out of cage journeys will come sooner and last longer.

This guy obviously had some bad experiences that left him relying upon his cage as the only safe place to be.

Just know that people like Acappella and others that have Greys that were once Cage bound can give you rock solid advice based on real world experience.

You are doing a wonderful job and obviously have a love for him that surpasses the pain of seeing him in his present state of being.

Kudos and karma to you!!! :-)