NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Free parrot behavior and training articles

particle77

Just thought I'd pass on the link to some articles I found online which I felt were very informative.

http://www.behaviorworks.org/htm/articles_behavior_change.html

Note I was particularly pleased by this find because in addition to being free, these articles were written by someone with real professional credentials.<br><br>Post edited by: particle77, at: 2009/11/28 07:16

Thanks for the links. :-)

I do agree with many of Friedmans and Brinkers opinions and theories. However, some of them, not at all.

Each person must carefully weigh what they read and what they observe dynamically through experience in real life. When you are dealing with a living, adapting and changing creature. You must learn it's personality, traits, likes and dislikes. As the quote says "Be the creature".

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering, but it has no weight in the the animal world. ;-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/11/28 14:52

First, I totally agree with the "contra freeloading" theory and have seen it displayed many times with my two parrots presently. I believe this to be true of all creatures. Working for something always gives a good feeling of accomplishment. It has always worked with my Dobermans as well.

An example of one thing I disagree with, is her description of punishment and or negative feedback.

All creatures receive punishment or negative feedback in the wild as they are growing up. It is a necessity to get along in life with others in understanding that there are boundaries. If you cross them, expect an equal an opposite reaction.

My Grey was becoming a prolific biter at times. I first applied the technique of not offering the opportunity. This does of course work to some degree, but not always.

Example: A step-up is required, not optional in that moment. I soon learned that he needed negative equal and opposite feedback. Using the balled fist, back of hand and just pushing against him gently enough to push him backwards and force a step-up worked. Now when I ask for a step up and he observes my body language the foot goes up and he complies.

If it is not a demand, but an offer to step up and he does bite. I do not back off and again ball up the fist and let him beak it which causes no harm while telling him NO BITE. He has now learned that he can simply push my hand away without biting and the bites I have taken have been greatly reduced.

There are times that negative or what some may consider punishing techniques are clearly necessary with a creature that is starting to get out of control. One note, I would never inflict any pain or damage to any critter in applying negative feedback. It is totally unacceptable and not necessary. It only induces fear and that is the last thing you want to do.

I know this can be argued from many different view points. This is just one, that does not fall into alignment with hers.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/11/28 17:29

Hmm... I do agree with you to a point. Negative reinforcement is a very natural process, and completely eliminating it from our tool set appears to limit our flexibility.

Its interesting to note, that you are giving Dayo the option of pushing away your hand in situations where a step up is optional. Did you notice whether he became more likely to choose to step up on his own, once he learned he had this choice?

I also agree that sometimes negative reinforcement can be used but only if used correctly. I did the caregivers course LLP with Friedman and found it very helpful and informative. They also talked about negative reinforcement in one lecture and when and how to use it.

Personally I wouldn't use it with step up as it is such a crucial command and one that is used many times during the day. I wouldn't want something negative associated with that command.

I must admit when we first got Rangi we used the gently push him technique and found it backfired on us and he really hated it and us. Once we started with the positive method to teach step up he became a much happier bird and stepped up for us all the time.

Kea was also a horrific biter with me and would lunge when my hand came near her to ask for step up. If I had tried the gently push her technique she would have ripped my hand off. Again I used the positive technique and her attitude went away so fast it surprised me.

particle77 wrote:

Its interesting to note, that you are giving Dayo the option of pushing away your hand in situations where a step up is optional. Did you notice whether he became more likely to choose to step up on his own, once he learned he had this choice?

Yes, Dayo readily steps up and most times lifts his Talon reading himself for the step-up.

The method I used completely reversed his biting issue.

I must also mention. Every time he complied when I started this, he received tons of praise which he basks in. I also started praising him for stepping up before I even asked him for it. They respond to a light heart and praise very well. You can not be telling someone what a "Good Boy" they are and be nervous or apprehensive at the same time. The persons emotions are read by all critters at a level that is close to being ESP. :-)