NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

found a new vet

Janfromboone

Took Tobie to the avian vet today. What a difference it was since the last one who really had nothing to try because "African Grey parrots are just pluckers and thats what you can expect." I don't know if there are solutions to Tobie's problem (breaking off flight feathers in his right wing) but there are things we are trying. This Vet owns two african greys herself and an Amazon and Cockatoo. She ran several tests and put him on an antibiotic for possible folliculitis - she sais the test for this are not very reliable. She also suggested a vitamin suppliment. Hope it all works out and helps Tobie. I'm going back in two weeks.

Jan, so glad you found an Avian Vet who doesn't have such a distaste for Grey's. They are not all pluckers, according to my AV, there is something either physically wrong that started the behavior and it continued or there was an emotional problem that started the behavior. Stopping the behavior is the problem we all face if we have a Grey that plucks. I've been very lucky with Beau in knowing his was a physical issue that was also lead to an emotional issue and with the medications and the help of a behaviorist we have beautiful new flight feathers coming in on his right wing and a back and breast full with no further plucking. I hope you have the same success we are enjoying. I know your dilligence will help Tobie at least slow this problem.