NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question

Supernova

As Lyn said it could be chickweed, that is my thought.

My budgies would kill for it.

Answers.

I will NEVER give anything to Ben I am not sure about.

I thought it may be a good feed for her.

I think it has purple flowers.

Another question crops up here? as Dave said they don't eat plants in the wild.

So why do the experts at Harrison's say give some dark green veg leaves to supplement there diet.

4.gif

Jill Does your gray eat dock leaves ????<br><br>Post edited by: Supernova, at: 2009/11/25 20:01

Supernova wrote:

Jill Does your gray eat dock leaves ????<br><br>

Yes! Harvey loves them - be they as baby leaves when they first start appearing in the garden, to the big momma ones!! I only take them from my own garden, as I know there is no fertiliser used (and neither do either of my neighbours), I wash them and them give them to Harvey - He loves them!!! ;)

Guest jamalbirdbiz

u need to try sum 4 urself ifrst. saute some garlic an& and onion in butter and then add the mystery plant and tell us how it tastes. :) looks pretty good 2 me. :P

"""Another question crops up here? as Dave said they don't eat plants in the wild.

So why do the experts at Harrison's say give some dark green veg leaves to supplement there diet."""

I'll put it another way---Harrisons or any other company do not use plant leaves from the wild.

You said the important words here concerning what Harrisons may feed---green veg leaves They don't get their items from the backyard nor do they put leaves in their products. No company does.

There are many vegetables which birds do eat. Veggies can be purchesed in a million stores. Any company which uses vegetables makes sure they're a product that has been certified to be eaten by birds.

The one thing I wouldn't do is put a picture or pictures of wild plants or weeds and start asking others whether they know what it is.

Answers like

*It could be this* or *it could be that and my birds eat it all the time*

*Mine have flowers growing flowers from it and my birds eat the leaves*

*Yes I have the same thing and it's a weed*

* Does it have an odor?*

*What part of the country do you live in*?

All of these answers and suggestions are very vague and iffy which tells me not to play with possible fire.

I would be better safe than sorry and not feed things from a back yard that insects may have occupied or eaten. I would be very sorry if any of my birds got sick from eating unknown outdoor growth especially since vets don't know how to treat the possible poisonous after effects.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/29 19:03<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/29 19:05

Guest jamalbirdbiz

i agree with u all on this subject. i try everything 1st and if itz cool by me it gets a thumbs up if not it gets a thumbs down :evil: and i chuck it.

Dave is right, unless you know 100% sure what it is then it is best not to offer it to your birds, better to be safe than sorry.

When places say to offer dark green leafy vegetables they are referring to the leaves of kale, spinach, mustard, collards, turnips and the like and they are best offered raw.

Since most dandelion greens are poisonous to humans (except for those who know exactly when to pick them) considering eating a plant you can't identify is dangerous.

Jamal, I do hope you know that garlic and onions are a major no no for greys! I know you suggested that Bernie eat it, but there are many people who read these forums that may not know that they can kill a grey - especially if served uncooked.

While the use of limited amounts of onion or garlic powders as flavorings is generally regarded as acceptable, excessive consumption of onions causes vomiting, diarrhea, and a host of other digestive problems. It has been found that prolonged exposure can lead to a blood condition called hemolytic anemia, which is followed by respiratory distress and eventual death.<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/11/30 20:37