NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need advice please

karina

My fiancees father is giving me his female african grey, shes about 7+ years old. She is living at his office. She has gotten some attention but not really, and hardly ever (once a month) comes out of her cage. Everyone is afraid to touch her because i hear she bites very hard when someone tries to touch her. I am taking her within the next few days, and have been trying to get as much info as possible. Any advice on how to make her feel comfortable with me and make her happy is Very much appriciated.

hello miss karina!

big fat kudos to you on your upcoming Big Adventure!

is this your first birdy?

my merlin (CAG) is my first birdy.

the best thing i can tell you is this:

'parrot time is next to eternal'

meaning: with my dog i expect rather immediate results, but with those kraaazy birds, wellll....

so slow and steady does it.

i found that playing soothing music was helpful. well maybe just for me to think i was making a difference.

bless their little birdy hearts, they watch and observe everything. so just move slowly, and talk sweetly and keep the atmosphere gentle at first til you get signals from your bird. what's her name?

each little soul is very different and you might have a shy one or you might have a real clown on your hands, or anything in between. she'll let you know in a few weeks who she really is.

my merlin loves daddy-man and preens his beard and lets him give a head scratchy. to me and everyone else he gives a good sharp bite. but he and i are working on 'touch nice' so maybe one day i'll be able to handle him.

i do get to stroke his beak through the bars when he allows me to. and i can give him a little kissy too if he is agreeable. but only through the bars, he and i both found out THE HARD WAY that boundary is the best for now!

here are some good goodies to have available so she learns that The Hand brings good things:

pine nuts!

nutri-berries (merlin likes the el-paso sombrero ones, no substitutions allowed!)

GRAPES (i cut them in half)

popcorn (watch the butter and salt)

we also like goldfish crackers and animal crackers. and boy oh boy is it Big Fun when it is banana eating time in the aviary!

lots of good info on the site, i am sure you are browsing around here. but firstly and most importantly may i make a polite mention of a couple environmental factors you will want to be aware of:

smoking

non stick cookware

scented candles

plugin air fresheners

air freshener spray

microwave popcorn.

there is an abundance of information on these important factors so i will not belabor the point.

do consider keeping a journal. i know i was terribly discouraged so many times with mr merlin but having a bit of a journal really helped me see that we are truly making progress in our own way.

i will be looking forward very very much to your reports! and photos photos photos...

-s

Hi Karina,

Karma to you for rescuing the poor thing. Whats her name?

I guess after the life shes been living, anything you do to her should be appreciated. Just be patient and loving and gentle, sit by her cage, talk softly to her, give her treats like almonds and shelled peanuts. You will figure her favourites out pretty soon.

She will learn to trust you and in some time you will be great friends, dont push her to do anything and dont force her, once she is relaxe in her new atmosphere and start to trust you, things will be different. The biting is just a reacion, shes frustrated, boured, and probably depressed. A little love will do wonders you will see.

This forum is a great place and yo will find lots of support and good load of helpful information

Since you have been offered to take her home, there must already have been some pleasant interactions and interest. You will build on that, but as the others say, time will seem to move very slowly as you work to gain her trust and learn to read her body language to trust her too. We have a baby, have only had him two weeks and he has been standoffish and very slow to permit us to touch him. Some birds may never allow the cuddles and touch that others sop up like a sponge. The day she comes to you for the first time will be worth all the waiting. Find out what is in the office that she seems to like and create some measure of continuity in your home, they like predictability.

Hi Karina, and welcom to the forum!

How sad this little girl has been living that kind of loveless life - well done for taking her on.

As the others have said, patience patience and more patience is the key. Just give her plenty of time and space - don't crowd her.

Keep us posted!

Lyn & Alfie

x

This sounds a lot like Phoenix tho he was 4 perhaps 5 when removed from the office setting and taken in by the lady who gave him to her sister who then sold him to my partner, and he's had him since at least 1999.

Time. Patience. Treats. Don't wear gloves, take the bites in stride.

Love and time are my only suggestions. The rest falls into place.

Thank you so much everyone! Her name is Gabby (Gabriella). I have interacted with her a few times, the last time i saw her was a couple days ago and i always do a clicking noise (like here kitty kitty kind of noise) and she repeated it back to me!! She has bald spots and very dry skin, i know dander is normal but she seems very dry. Is bird conditioner recommended? i've never owned a bird but i love animals and am willing to learn. i want to get her fun stuff for her cage but should i leave her cage how it is for the first few days she is here so its comfortable for her in a new home??

My little girl (who drawfs my male) has dry skin and she was a plucker (now she is trying to let them all come back in).

Aloe Vera Juice, you can get it by the gallon at WalMart for cheap, and a spray bottle ... soak her... till it beads... she may hate you for it at first but as her skin stops itching and bothering her she will warm up to it (they're smart like that).

Also showers would be good but that may be a ways down the road for a new grey in the home. Mine like them OK in the summer and HATE them in the winter (I get bitten a lot in the winter when a shower is necessary).

I would suggest you know what not to feed them, there is a good article on this forum but I can't find the link. Send a Private Message to Judygram, she had a good list of OK to feed foods that I keep on my fridge in hard copy.

Has she pulled her flight feathers? Can you possibly attach a photo of her for us to see?

You will do well, just get to get adjusted to each other.

Karina, karma to you for taking on this little grey soul. She sounds alot like Dorian was when he came home with me. Many people here have taken in rescues that needed alot of rehab. You'll find lots of advice here, encouragement when you're feeling frustrated, and we'll celebrate right along with you at every small step forward.

Some questions for you. How big is Gabby's cage? Could you describe it, or take a picture. There is a forum tab with information on minimum cage size. If her cage is on the small side right now, it would be good to put her into a new one now, when you're moving her. Then put in the perches, toys, she's used to, in the same way they were in the old cage, or as close as possible. It would also be good to take her to a certified avian vet on the way to her new home. If she has bald spots she is probably plucking a bit, but there could be medical reasons that should be eliminated first. A good check-up by an avian vet can rule out alot and give you the information you need to make her healthy in mind and body:)

Have you thought where her cage is going to be located in your home? You'll want her where she can observe the activity and feel part of the flock, but where she doesn't feel vulnerable. Up against a wall is good, in a corner may be better. It needs to be somewhere that can get dark and quiet for 10-12 hours a day because that's how much sleep they need. Set up a chair next to her and just talk to her, tell her about her new home, let her get used to you. It would be a good idea for your fiancee to interact with her in this way from day one. She may pick either you or him as her 'favourite', but if you're both busy with her from the start she'll have a better shot at being a 'family' bird.

Does she talk or mimic sounds in her current home? Is there a bell in her cage? Most greys love bells. I know it's exciting bringing her into your home and you want to spoil her with toys and love and new experiences, but greys are very cautious birds, especially when they haven't had a good, nurturing environment from day one. There's a good chance that Gabby will view any new toy or perch as a potential birdy killing machine. :ohmy: You shouldn't just hang a new toy in her cage until you get some idea of her personality and how fearful or adventurous she is. My Dorian is a big grey chicken. It took almost a year before he decided his boing wasn't evil:evil: There's lots of advice here on how to introduce new things to a fearful bird.

As for her skin being dry and itchy and having alot of dander, greys need to get wet to keep clean and keep the dander down. Again, do a forum search on baths or showers. There are almost as many ways to get a bird wet as there are forum members. Bathing is something birds naturally want to do(although there are some birds here that continue to sulk every time they get wet!). Sometimes all it takes is giving them a shallow dish big enough to get wet in. Dorian starts giving himself a bath in his water dish, then I help out with a misting spray bottle full of aloe vera juice which helps with the dry skin. Gabby's skin and feather condition will also improve if she's on a good diet.

There's lots to learn, but the good news is there's lots of time to learn it. Avoid the temptation to do everything at once. With birds that are as long-lived as greys are, time is measured in weeks, months, years, not hours or days. Just bring her into your home and let her settle in and observe for a few days, then maybe see how she reacts if you leave her cage door open part of the time. She may come right out, or she might still stay inside. Little things like that will let you know what kind of personality she has. It is in many ways like bringing a child into your home that has been locked in one room and not touched for years. You can't expect her to be friendly and playful and cuddly because that isn't what life this far has taught her, but you have years to teach her a whole new way of being. It's a great adventure and learning experience, and we're all here to cheer you both on.

Love, Marguerite and Dorian{Love-000200BF}

Hi Karina, karma to you for taking in an older grey. There are oodles of thread here at the forum to answer a lot of your questions. If you need help, just ask and some of our very knowledgeable members will be here to help. Can't wait to hear more about Gabby and see some pictures when you get a chance.

I haven't brought Gabby home yet i plan to do it tomorrow. She actually has a very good size cage, its huge. I am 5'3 and its taller than i am, and its decently wide. She lived in somthing much smaller for a long time which i will take as an emergency cage. I found out ttoday shes actually about 10 - 12 years old. Gabby has a bell and likes to ding it. When i come up to her cage i talk gently to her and she puts her head down, but im afraid to pet her (she bits very hard). Tomorrow im putting her in a cardbord pet carrier, we have to break down the cage hose it off and set it up in the living room. then ill put her in there, and just leave her alone for the night. Should I just talk to her from outside the cage until she comes to me?? i don't want to invade her space and reach in and get bitten. ive been told it could take months for her to let me hold her, obviously she will need patience from me! Thanks again everyone it is VERY much appreciated

talk to her, and open the door and let her decide to come out. you might be surprised how fast she comes out and asks for a head scratch. dont be afrid, she will likely try and "beak you" which is like a baby mouthing your finger. It looks scary but isn't, your reaction to it will leave a lasting impression on her.

wise not to invade her space right away :)

A grey has body language that warns you you're about to take a bite. By knowing the signs you can't always avoid a bite, but you can avoid alot of them. Do a search on body language here and you'll get alot of tips. If she's putting her head down for you right at the side of the cage, and you can see her eyes, you can try reaching one finger through the cage and lightly scratch her head. Watch her reaction closely. If she closes her eyes or moves her head to give you a better angle it's a very good sign, but it may take awhile. That's how Dorian and I got to know each other while he was still in the store, and he was very hand phobic. Nothing you've described about Gabby suggests that she has any particular fear of hands, at least as long as they're outside the cage and she's inside:) Be very gentle if you feel a pin feather coming in. They're sensitive when coming in and even those of us who have birds that love scratches will get a bite if we scratch too hard around a new feather.

It's really good that you're prepared for progress to take months. Dorian's been here for just over two years and he still doesn't step-up from inside his cage. He'll likely never be a bird who wants to sit on my knee or lap like some forum member's birds do. We have, however, found a compromise that works for both of us. If he wants to come with me to another room he climbs to a particular perch on the outside of his cage, and that's my signal to ask him for a step-up. Just recently he's started to step-up for me from other parts of his cage. This is from a bird that I thought at one point would be cage-bound for the rest of his life. It took years to get here, and there's a long way to go, but it's so rewarding when an animal as smart and cautious as a grey with 'baggage' starts to trust you. I hope the move goes smoothly for you.

Welcome Karina and kudos to you for deciding to take in your future father in laws grey. :-)

First - Your best source for information to help you understand that particular grey, is the owner.

Things to ask:

1 - What is her present diet?

2. How much training has been given such as step-up?

3. Was or is she a grey that allows giving scratches and enjoys sitting with the owner?

4. Has she ever laid eggs? This is important to know. We can get into that later.

5. How does the present owner get her out of the cage?

6. How does the present owner get her back in the cage?

7. Is she used to tree-stands or T Perches.

8. How often if ever has the owner bathed her?

Your cage for her sounds absolutely fabulous. Please be sure it gets a good hosing down and then wiped with bleach mixed with water to completely disinfect it.

They do love to slam those bells!! :-)

One note: Greys are normally very fearful of change and new items like toys. You will need to introduce them slowly and from a distance.

As others have already noted. The first thing to do is build trust with her and have the patience of job in doing it.

Looking forward to hearing more updates on this as the transition progresses. You have come to the right place to get very useful information from all our knowledgeable grey owners. :-)

I am thinking with all the wonderful advice you are getting here and you being smart enough to care about her that this will be a success further down the road you chose to journey down. A good diet, spray misting and gentle trust building interactions will go a long way to making her happy and more comfortable, I think helping her to bloom as a bird will be very rewarding for you both. Congratulations{Love-0002011E} on taking this girl into your heart and home.

I took Gabby out of her cage and she flew and landed on the floor. I reached to pick her up and she put her leg out and got onto my hand! she sat on my arm and came up and sat on my shoulder and pecked at my hair. finally i got her into the carrier, the drive home she was pretty quiet. Shes in her cage right now cleaning herself, picking through her feathers and washing her feet. She so adorable i love her so much! Her cage is huge though..wayyy to big for my living room so ill have to do some rearranging. In the morning ill sit and talk to her..ill post updates and pictures asap!!!! :lol:

Oh one more thing. im right handed so i was holding her in my right hand and arm..and then she went up to my right shoulder, if i tried to touch her with my left hand though she would try and bite me...and did bite me, kind of hard. obviously i didnt try and touch her again and i didnt scold her because i assumed i shouldnt yell sence she doesnt really know me. Thanks everyone!! You have all been so helpful to gabby and myself!:kiss:

Oh it's GreYt to hear the homecoming has gone so well and that Gabby is such a friendly Grey literally right out of the box. :-)

Yes, you home will now become your GreYs hangout, not yours and it will become decorated accordingly. :P

Can't wait to see those photos and hear more. :-)

You are off to such a good start already. Dan is right about the bird dictating the home decor. I had a smaller bird for three years ahead of Juno and all her stuff fit nicely stacked in bins on the shelf under her cage. Juno has things strewn on the kitchen counter, one shelf in the pantry and one in the fridge, an armoire in the bedroom and half the living room now. Since Gabby is showing interest in being with you, I put a bunch of foot toys into a stainless steel bucket and keep that by my chair so they are toys he only gets while out on my lap. For the first week or so, I didn't try to touch him while he played. Slowly I started putting my hand closer and giving him toys and now he is soliciting touches on his head. Gabby will let you know soon what she finds tolerable and her trust of you will grow along with your trust of her. Those clamp downs with the beak do hurt, but you are right not to have an outburst as difficult as that is. I can't wait to see how she gets along when her personality starts to shine in your home.