NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

melon

Guest briansmum

Guest Lidia

No.

This is because melon rind can become contaminated with salmonella during harvesting and packing. This applies to cantaloupe and honeydew, and I am presuming it also applies to other melons, such as watermelons, etc.

I have read a couple of highly technical FDA articles about washing to remove contamination, but it appears that even this is not completely reliable.

For the same reason (salmonella), it is wise not to give pieces of melon from previously damaged or long-opened fruits, as the salmonella can spread from the rind to the flesh.

And when buying melons, don't select any that have damage or bruising to the rind (especially to the area where the stalk/stem would be), as these are all access points for salmonella and other bugs.

This is rather frightening, as I have often bought slightly damaged melons (they're a hell of a price here in Ireland, sometimes) and cut away the damaged bits, but I won't be doing that again! And I have often given Joshua melon and never once thought to remove the rind (I will from now on!), as he discards the rind and eats only the sweetest flesh.

:sick:<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/23 16:46

Lidia,

That's great information on Melons!

Your right of course, the Skin/rinds basically lay in the dirt until harvested and pick up all kinds of stuff imaginable :ohmy:

Though they are washed, they are by no means disinfected.

I must be more careful when cutting these up and prepping! :S<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/23 16:47

Guest briansmum

brian has also eaten the skin :unsure: i just gave him a slice yesterday and he chomped through the rind, i dont think he ate much so much as just ripped it up. what shall i do?

Guest Lidia

I imagine he's fine, Beccy, just don't give it to him in future to avoid the risk. I know Joshua won't be getting any melon rind ever again!

Guest briansmum

oh deffinately not! it was a few days ago now, so im sure he would be showing symptoms if he had something, salmonella is quite severe in greys. his poop is fine, his weight is fine, he certainly doesnt have any discharge and he's he cheeky little self.

thankyou very much lidia, thats why you are moderator here :) karma for you

Guest Lidia

Thanks, Beccy! But I learned just as much from my research as you did, it was new to me too! Don't forget the large suitcase with the:side: air holes for me!

Guest Lidia

xxbeccyxx wrote:

suitcase? don't be silly, for that help you have been upgraded to a crate :laugh: ;)

My own crate!!!!????!!!! Wow, thanks! Can it have a "this way up" sign on the outside?