NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Scented Candles

JungleDreamz

I know scented candles are bad, But I just wondered WHAT about them makes them bad? Is it the actual "scent" or "smell"? Or is it that it makes carbon monoxide levels higher? Or is it the smoke?

And Can you burn a scented candle if you open all the windows and put all fans on so it is well ventalated???

Oh an here is just a horrific thing for ya, 1st of all, dont worry, The bird in this story is absolutly FINE, so no sad bird dying stories, haha...I dont like to read them, so that is why I am letting you know it ISNT that so you will read on...Someone I know burns scented oils and Insence on a table RIGHT NEXT to thier parrots cage...I mean, RIGHT next to it, like butted up to the cage,AAAHHHHH!!!! :blink: What is wrong with them!?!?! I mean isnt this just as bad if not worse than scented candles? AND The other question I had is, Why is the bird ok? Why isnt it dead in the bottom of the cage? I told them it was bad, And they just said "well she is fine isnt she?" :evil: Eeeerrrrrr, What can I say to that?!

I don't have anything scented around my fids, the nearest thing scented to them is two scented candles which I don't light and they are in the adjoining room which is seperated by an archway. The only other smelly stuff I have is upstairs or in the downstairs loo which is seperated to the birds by two doors.

I don't think that damage to a bird's health is immediate but I'd hate to think that your "friend's" bird's lifespan could be shortened for the sake of air fresheners. Silly people.

I know it is so frustrating...Notice tho, I didnt call them "friends" hahaha just "someone I know"...Stupid people is what I should of said, haha

OH, and what about ciggarette smoke, Isnt that bad too? Or are scented things worse? I dont smoke, I just wondered, these people smoke as well.

I would think that smoking in a room with parrots in it is as bad as smoking in a room with children in it - definately not recommended. I know someone who smokes in the same room as her parrots and has an air freshener next to the cage. I have told her but what else can you do or say? You can advise people but you can't tell them what to do in their own homes.

I agree Julie - their little lungs, bless them. I would never smoke near children (or pets) - not that I smoke, just I would have respect for all things living.

Hannah - I use reed diffusers - they are safe to be used as air fresheners around birds (I only know this because a vet advised me to use them with my cockatiel).

In candles there are chemicals in the wax that make the scent (it's obviously not real orchid, rose etc) and that's the harmful burning ingredient.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here.... So don't shoot me.

Phoenix lived with mom, who smoked two+ packs a day, indoors, for at least 6 years. I've wondered about the health impact this will have on him in the future. He seems to get winded when I hold his feet and let him flap his wings (he's clipped, so this is exercise). But he seems to recover quickly.

He doesn't speak a lot but when he does it's clear as day.

It's not that I don't believe that scented candles (I'm a WoodWick's fanatic) can cause harm, the question is when and how does it manifest? I can't seem to find that answer.

It's not like teflon, which kills them within minutes.

Is it like with humans? It'll kill you... at some time? It may be 2 years or 52 years?

How do we know they will live to be 60? Do the smarter ones die sooner (see: Alex, Dr. Pepperberg)?

I don't mean to upset, but I do have these burning questions I can't seem to get answers to.

I'm one of those pain-in-the-behind people who get headaches and nauseous around scented products. I figure if it bothers me, it can't be good for Dorian, or really anyone. I had to ask my sister-in-law to never burn her scented candles when I'm over, especially since she used to have a different one in every room. I figure it is the chemicals released that I'm reacting to. Also, the cheaper the candle (I'm looking at you, Dollarama) the worse I react. I know I can be in a room longer if the candle or diffuser is subtle, and completely natural, which usually equals expensive:(

Since I'm in a rural area where the power ofter goes out so I burn natural beeswax candles in other areas of the house and use battery powered lights in Dorian's area if I have to.

I think we are all aware of the possible dangers so we choose to do what is right for our fids to keep them safe.

I dont use any air freshners (which I really do miss) as well as scented candles, febreeze, shake and vac etc, its just not worth the risk.

I also know other people nearby with birds who do use these products and their birds are ok but Im afraid I wont be risking my fids health because someone elses birds are ok.

Who knows what the damage can be long term? We are not vets just very careful parronts.

Thank you for all the replies, I just need to make something clear, I am not saying just cuz I dont understand WHY, that I am going to start using these harmful things around the birds, I just wondered why, So I thought I would just ask. I dont use any scented things ethier in close proximity to the birds. I just dont want anyone thinking that :)

Ecodweeb, I understand what you are saying totally, I am also a HUGE fan of woodwicks and Yankee candles, I just dont use them in the same area as the birds...But I can undersand ciggerettes, I mean they kill people, So I can understand why they would be even more harmfull to a parrot with lungs a million times smaller than a humans, And I have heard of the the statistic that each puff of a ciggarette shortens your life by 1 min or something, so how much more so for a bird...So that would be a longterm problem, not like using your self cleaning oven and your bird dies immediatly, But

with the candles, I have the same questions as you when you said, "when an how does it manifest, I cant seem to find the answers" I cant ethier...and I would just really like to know. So that if it was just a ventalation problem I can start using my candles, and just keeping all the windows open or something...I have heard a lot of differant things, So I just wondered which one is the real answer...I will ask the vet, And If he can answer me I will let you all know. I just think it is strange I cant find the answer anywhere, Maybe it should be studied more to increase the safty of our animals ;)<br><br>Post edited by: JungleDreamz, at: 2009/11/22 16:49

The bottom line on this, is burning a scented candle or using air fresheners will not kill your bird today, tomorrow or next year.

BUT, due to their very sensitive respiratory system, it is advised to not use them in the home that our fids reside in. The effects COULD shorten their lives by many years.

Obviously a long term scientific study has not been performed on this. But mots of us threw out all scented candles and air fresheners the day we brought our parrots home. Better to be safe, than sorry in a few years. :-)

I don't have a appt with the vet till the new year for either of my guys but I will ask him.

My logic echo's danmcq's: the candles themselves will weaken the respiratory system of the parrot making older age more difficult, such as they stop talking.

I recall reading a sad story of a roommate who used bleach to mop the tile floor of the parrot's room and the bird never spoke afterwards, due to the bleach's effect on the lungs.

I've also been seeking out beeswax/soy canldes for the house as I expect this winter to be a doozy.

• 2 years later...
I'm one of those pain-in-the-behind people who get headaches and nauseous around scented products. I figure if it bothers me, it can't be good for Dorian, or really anyone. I had to ask my sister-in-law to never burn her scented candles when I'm over, especially since she used to have a different one in every room. I figure it is the chemicals released that I'm reacting to. Also, the cheaper the candle (I'm looking at you, Dollarama) the worse I react. I know I can be in a room longer if the candle or diffuser is subtle, and completely natural, which usually equals expensive:(

Since I'm in a rural area where the power ofter goes out so I burn natural beeswax candles in other areas of the house and use battery powered lights in Dorian's area if I have to.

As mentioned above, if possible... use battery powered lights around them in the case of an emergency. They are far too sensitive for candles, even if they are natural, to be around them... just a word to the wise.

Im so confused (and it dont take much :P) whats the difference from a candle or a plug in to a diffuser? I mean its still the scent in the air that I thought was not good... :confused:

Regardless .. I have chosen to get rid of ALL of it and like most I miss it, but I love my fid to much to even run that risk!

I did some research into this very topic and this is what I came up with. Here's my original post on it - http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?194210-Scented-candles&p=240768#post240768

Based on this research, any chemical, vapor or vaporized oil could be potentially harmful. Cooking oil sprayed into a pan while fixing dinner could be harmful. So could stale air. Obviously, it's nearly impossible to create a perfect environment for our parrots' needs, but it is very possible to do things to mitigate the harmful effects of living indoors - such as reduce or eliminate their chemical exposure, improve airflow and air quality (with a HEPA particulate filter.) If you understand the science behind why birds' lungs are sensitive, it helps you understand why a glade plugin is just as dangerous as lysol spray or candles. I love my candles too, but I love my birds more. Also, I get a lot more complements on "how nice my house smells" with a little cinnamon and cloves or strawberries and orange peels simmered in a crockpot than I ever did with the carpet fresh powders, glade plugins, candles, febreeze, etc.

My husband tells me I'm a little paranoid about these things, but in my view it's my responsibility to be paranoid, so please take my advice with a grain of salt :)