NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what is my bird doing???

msmousej

I just recently got a 12 year old grey her name is mandy...I have had her for 3 days ...she isn't talking and alot of times refuses to step up...I know this could be because she is new...but last night she was on the cage door...I walked over to her and she went and got up on the top of the cage and put her beak between the bars and stared to stroke her foot ...something like what a bull does before he charges...I talked to her but she wouldn't stop..and now when I go over to her she goes back on top the cage and does it again and again....how long will it take her to get use to her new home

Hi msmousej - welcome to the forum. Harvey does this round his food bowl - he does this when he's trying to draw attention to himself shortly after we put him in his cage! It's his "I want out" tantrum.

Karma to you for taking on an older grey - it will be a transition period for you both - Mandy will be wary of you and you of she.

There are loads of great threads about rescue greys or older adoptions and other people's accomplishments and tips - just mooch about a bit.

Go and introduce yourself in the Welcome Room - we love to get to know people (and some photos of Mandy would be lovely)!

Look forward to hearing more about you both. Jill x<br><br>Post edited by: JillyBeanz, at: 2009/11/19 08:15

Welcome msmousej!!

It's always good to hear of someone taking in an older Grey.

Your Grey is fully mature and fairly set in ways at 12 years old.

It will take weeks probably to build trust and figure out her likes and dislikes. Right now you are not trusted and when you get too close and that charging bull body language is displayed, she is letting you know to back off.

Just be patient and content at sitting next to the cage or perch you may have her on and read, watch tv, talk to her etcetera. As the trust builds and she gets used to her new surroundings and flock. The friendliness and inquisitiveness will start coming out in her.

Looking forward to hearing updates on how it is going. :-)

It is just the beginning of a long journey together-give her some space and win her over with sweet talk and small rewards. Spend time near her with out pushing her to interact or be touched, read to her sing to her greet her on the way by. Let her choose to reach out to you I think she is just showing a little stress from all the changes in her life right now. Patience will win the day for you.

• 2 weeks later...

an update on Mandy...she has become very loveable toward everyone in the family. She spends time with my daughter throughout the whole day either she is watching her on the computer or they play with different toys in the kitchen...she like to snuggle with me watching tv...though she doesn't talk her and my daughter make me laugh with the silly noises she makes...my quaker meows at her and she barks back at him...they are quite comical...she is really nice to everyone in the family...we are so very happy to have her with us. it only took her a week to warm up to us and trust us.