NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chronic feather-picking Amazon I want to adopt

PekingeseMama

I work at PetSmart, and many animals come in that I'd love to give a forever home to. For the first time since I've worked there, we've held an adopt-a-thon where a chronic feather picking Amazon hybrid was brought in. The poor little fellow is naked on all of his chest, down to his legs, and on much of his back as well. It's so bad that they've lowered his price from $600 to only $250, because of the way he looks. I know nothing about this condition of feather destruction, as my Grey and conure (thank heavens!) don't have this problem.

Can anyone here give me advice on the special care this bird might need? Do you think it's advisable to adopt a parrot that is known to have problems? He bends his head down for me to pet him every day, and pins his BEAUTIFUL eyes when I'm speaking to him. He barks along with the rest of the dogs in the store, which I find hilarious, and speaks a little bit, too. I think I'm already in love....but is that wise?

Here is the link to his picture and info....His name is "GUAPO" LOL which means "handsome" in Spanish! I love it, even though he looks like a plucked chicken, he's beautiful to ME!:P

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14938798&mtf=1<br><br>Post edited by: PekingeseMama, at: 2009/11/15 04:59

Hi,

Poor Guapo, he is beautiful tho!

I don't know anything about the special needs of a constant feather picker, but well done you for considering offering a home to this beautiful bird, who is obviously in dire need of some tlc. Hopefullly you will get all the info you need on here, to make your decision.

Good luck

x

Bobbi, what a sweet looking amazon. I took in an eclectus who was a plucker. He hated the noisy pet shop he had been in for years and was terribly plucked. He screamed all the time in the pet shop. I have had him since May and he has stopped plucking and is quiet, except when he wants something. I took him to the vet and he is healthy so I spray him everyday with Aloe Vera juice (thanks Dave007) and I believe it has helped tremendously. So I believe, if you have the patience and the love for this sweet amazon go for it. Guapo probably needs a permanent loving home and he will flourish. Good luck with your decision.

Oh, he's beautiful! I would definitely say..DO IT!!

Amazons love attention, they are show offs and desire to be. He probably plucked himself due to the fact he had no attention. I am sure in your loving home, his desire to pluck with diminish for the most part if not totally.

That is a great price as well. Having just purchased an amazon...I speak from experience about price. ;)

Guest jamalbirdbiz

my greys seem to likes my kids but other kids tend to become victims of the squak and lunge dive bomb. kids need to learn to listen and pay attention to the words i be saying - step off - stay away - they are not toys - they bite - :evil: or they willl be forced to learn the hard way. :evil:

my merlin (CAG) is a feather plucker, as is miss milly (mitred conure). would i like them to not be? yes of course! but do i love them every day just as they are? yes indeedy.

so i used to be a nail biter. why? i dont' know there are lots of theories why people bite their nails. nail biting in humans i kind of see as a parallel to feather picking in my birds. perhaps that is incredibly unscientific but it is my opinion.

this dear birdy seems to be very fond of you and what a shame it would be to pass up the joy you two would share just because of feather plucking. you have a lot of love to give, as does birdy.

do let us know the outcome, we are all standing by!

-s

There's many reasons why parrots pluck/chew feathers. One of those reasons has to do with different health problems. One reason may be that this amazon is a chronic plucker ( will never stop plucking)

He may be an acute plucker( will stop but it takes time)

So, the best thing to do is to go to a vet, have it examined to find out whether the plucking has to do with illness.

If not, the bird can be classified as either chronic or acute but that will also take time to find out.

This is especially true with slighty older birds and you never mentioned age.

There are illnesses that can cause plucking.

Also, if the bird has been plucking for quite a while, he may have pulled out follicles therefore no feathers will ever grow back from those areas.

"""I'm still looking for cages...where I live there are absolutely NO large cages for sale, so I have no choice but to buy online...which isn't easy either! I'm hoping no one else takes Guapo before I get the cage!"""

Cages--go to EBAY, type in BIRD CAGES and a huge assortment will open up. All styles, shapes and colors. Most are quality made and the price is drastically cheaper and many of the cages come under the heading BUY IT NOW which means that the price you see is the price you'll pay. No bidding is involved. They have loads and loads of new cages.

Thanks Dave! I have been looking on Ebay, that's probably my only hope. The pet store I bought Dodo's cage from no longer sells cages. I am trying to find a corner cage that will be large enough for an Amazon without being too large for my home (which, at the moment, is a difficult task!)

Guapo has been seen by an avian vet, and has been classified as a 'chronic' feather plucker, but they said he does seem to stop plucking as much when he's less stressed. Being in the pet store with barking dogs and tons of people hovering around his cage made him even more stressed out than he'd already been before, and he kept plucking away. However, they do not believe his follicles have been damaged by his plucking. They, for some reason, have not been able to determine his age as of yet. I don't know why. Aren't there some tests that can be run that could tell his age? I'm not sure.

My one question....will I have to put Guapo in seclusion from the rest of the birds for a while, if I do get him? The only room I have away from all the ohers is in the basement, and I sure would hate to do that to the poor little guy...that's why he's in the shape he's in to begin with!

I'm afraid that it's very hard to tell the age of an amazon and some other species although I can tell you that just about any pet store selling medium to large sized parrots won't sell any bird above the age of 1 1/2 yrs old when the store is buying the bird. It's much too difficult to sell the bird after that age.

Yes, it's very important that you quantine the bird for at least 30 to 45 days especially since it was housed in a pet store that had other types of animals.

Yes, all the barking and unexpected things going on could also enhance or cause more plucking/picking/chewing feathers.

As far as that corner cage goes, think long and hard about that. Once you get that style, you're stuck. It may also hamper your possible decision in the future to move the cage around. It will have to go in a corner and there may not be one available.

Guapo is HOME!!! He started talking to us while he was in the carrier, saying "Hello!" enthusiastically right from the start. He is using his old, temporary cage for the time being, until the one I ordered comes in next week. But he is whistling and saying a few things already, and I think we're all going to get along just fine!;)