NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

pooping on his pellets

skmunson

Just over the last week I've noticed two poo poos in Benji's pellet dish.

He likes to perch on it a lot and I think he's just letting it drop.

Of course, I empty and clean the bowl when I see it. But is it strange that he would have no aversion to pooping in one of his food bowls?

I've never noticed his doing it before.

He has like five other perches in the cage so he's not lacking for places to hang out when he's in there.

Anything I could/should do about this?

I have noticed this with both of mine recently.

I noticed my female will gather a poo pile on the grate below the dish if I don't clean the cages soon enough.

Some say that in the wild they walk around and eat things covered in all kinds of poo, but I'd clean it out and try to discourage the behavior in a positive way.

"No no Benji, that's for eating not pooping!"

I just noticed some ceramic "salt" dishes that have an opening in the front but are fully covered to keep dust out. They were in a discount store and only a couple of dollars each. When I saw them, I wondered who would use that much salt. Now I wish I had gotten a couple so they would be "bomb" shelters.

You simply have to locate the feeding bowl to another area that's more difficult to perch on. Easy access to a food or water bowl is the only time a bird will do that. Usually, they're not even eating anything when they do it. They can't be trained to not do it nor do they care about not doing it. Can't move the food dish to another area? Simply go to a pet store, buy a food bowl that usually comes with a holder and attach it to the inner cage.

Many people have to do that because when their bird decides to bathe in the bowl and starts flapping their wings, those wings get stuck between the bars of a cage and cause injury to themselves.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/12 20:09