NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ringworm

Nikki

Okay here goes an unpleasant topic. Have any of you had problems with ringworm (human) as a result of keeping birds? Lately I am breaking out in small circles of this stuff. I medicate one & a new one pops up. To many birdie kisses or is it from the poop or maybe none of the above????? I am perplexed.

Ringworm is actually a fungus.

If your bird did have ringworm, you would note feather loss in splotches.

As you know, it is mainly transmitted through cats.

I would get to a doctor to diagnose exactly what is going on with those skin spots. Only they can properly diagnose it.

It's extremely hard for birds to get ringworm. As Dan said there would be obvious feathers problems if a bird caught it. You can catch the fungus that causes ringworm in a variety of ways. Having direct contact with someone who is already infected is one way, as well as loving on your pet who has ringworm but those pets need to be on the ground all the time.. Yes, your pets ( domestic) can easily get ringworm and then pass it on to you as you pet them. They can also get ticks and mites and fleas.

Ringworm is contagious and easily spread, especially among young children. You should avoid sharing combs, brushes, hats, and other personal hygiene items with someone who is infected with ringworm.

There are several good over the counter treatments for ringworm available. A few of these include: Most all of them are over the counter medications. Even generic products are sold for that problem.

Micatin

Lotrimin

Mycelex

Miconazole works quite well

Head And Shoulders works very well in treating ringworm of the scalp

Selsun Blue is another good scalp ringworm treatment.

Corticosteroids are very effective. One such product is Hydrocortisone cream is great for many skin infections. It definitely relieves the itching.

All of these ringworm medications work extremely well in eliminating the fungus that causes ringworm. With treatment, ringworm should go away within 7 to 10 days and leave you completely healed.

So, if you notice yourself with a red rash that is itching, don't get to upset. Get yourself one of these over the counter products for ringworm and get rid of it fast. There's even herbal medicine for ringworm.