NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Afraid on new things

greymom

Hi All,

Rita does not like new things. I just added a lovely natural wood perch on the outside of her cage to give her more perching options. She does not like it but will still sit on the top of the cage and talk. So I guess she is not completely frightened. I once tried that nice curvy perch that you can shape. Well, she freaked. So it is put away.

What is the best way to introduce new things to a grey with who dislikes change.

As I am writing this she looks a little more comfortable. That is, she is no longer "paralyzed" but is climbing around but avoiding the new perch.

Some birds won't touch new things because they're very comfortable with what they have, especially perches. Sometimes fantastic toys are introduced to birds and some of those bird will either accept it, ignore it or actually freak out when that item is around. As long as your perches are the proper size and she's totally comfortable them, there's no need for change. Some people get their birds some of the most beautiful and expensive cages and the bird won't go near it until he/she gets used to seeing it. That may be a short time or long time. Many greys simply don't like change. Some will say that it's a good idea to have the item laying around so that the bird can see it and get used to it. Most of the time, the bird will get used to it but when it's time to actually use it with the bird there may be a big problem because the bird got used to it as being part of the scenery.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/10 01:13