NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Moving to US and my grey

kathyalison

Hi everyone - it's been ages since i last posted here. I need your advise - desperately!

I'm relocating from Jamaica to the US ( Dallas to be exact). Kenya , my African Grey, is now 5 years old and we are quite attached. I'd love to take her with me. The problem is - i understand that all pet birds entering the US MUST be quarantined for 30 days.

I know that would devastate my bird. So as painful as it is i'm actually considering leaving her in Jamaica with family and then getting a new grey when i go to the US.

Any thoughts on this ?

hmmm - so true. Right now, as i prepare to make the transition Kenya is staying with a friend who has several other birds. When i first left Kenya, she was soooo nervous, but over the past few days she has been settling in quite fine.

I guess i'm just a nervous Mom - wanting the very best for my baby :)

I don't know much about the quarantine process, but surely you would be able to visit her there. We took our animals overseas and back but didn't have a parrot at the time. It would be worth your while to bring her with you if you can so you don't wonder how she is managing without you. We left our dog with friends when we first went overseas and then came home to get her and it was the longest 18 months of my life. Of course you will do what is best for your girl working with what you have, but if you can move heaven and earth to bring her with you, it would be worth it.

Only you know your grey well enough to say whether or not she will be all right being in quarantine for 30 days. Could she be quarantined in Texas where you could go visit her? And how would she be quarantined? If your family in Jamaica love her as much as you do, perhaps that would be best. It is something only you would know. Good luck on your decision.

Hello! Here is what I'd suggest:

First I would network with this site to find someone in one of the quarantine cities. Set it up so that you can stay w/ them for each weekend out of the month quarantine. If you can't find someone, try and get a good deal on a hotel near by.

I would see the parrot even single weekend and never miss a single time. This gives her the stability she seeks. I have faith that only the best work in these facilities, and she will be well looked after and stimulated (might want to ask about this, call the Fish and Wildlife service from the link posted before I did and ask them about the process in detail).

I'd then drive her (or fly? If so go US Airways so she rides in the cabin with you) to your home in Dallas.

Given Irene M. Pepperberg's travels with all her parrots over the past 30 years, granted it was not international, I think she would do OK. That is a long flight. My biggest worry is if she has to be "checked cargo" .... someone else posted about flying their birds and birds freezing to death under the plane on long flights.

So there are a few hurdles:

1) can she fly in the cabin or does she need to go by ship to the quarantine facility?

2) Travel and lodging between Dallas and the port city she comes into for quarantine for visits

3) Is she required to be kept in her own cage, and if so, can you provide her with new toys when you come to keep her entertained?

It's a big deal, and I understand where you're coming from about it might be better to leave her with family. Tough call.

I hope you find your answers.

The US has very strict rules about importing wild animals into this country. A parrot is a wild animal and can't be compared to any domestic animal. You may need to have your bird examined in your own country so that proper official documented info can be supplied to the vets here that will perform another examination. Depending upon your particular situation, a minimum of 30 days can actually stretch out to 60 days. Extensive Vet testing must be done which is expensive.

Parrots that need to be examined by vets in order for the bird to get a clean bill of health aren't allowed in any cabin area with passengers because of possible unknown health problems.

You'll need to check out everything you need to do in extreme detail. Quarantine is the last thing a bird needs to go through. All of the testing comes first.

• 1 month later...

Hey Kathy-

My bird Charlie is actually in quarantine in NYC as we speak. He'll be released next Thursday. (I AM SO EXCITED TO GET TO SEE HIM AGAIN!!!) But if you have any questions about the whole process, I'd be glad to talk to you. It's the biggest headache, but worth it to keep Charlie with us. I lost track of how many forms and phone calls I've had to make, but again, it'll be worth it in the long run, right?

I'll probably post a nice long new topic once I get him back on my shoulder with all the hairy details for anyone crazy enough to try to import a grey. I'm still slightly paranoid that something will go wrong between now and then though...

Quarantine laws vary from country to country.

I have read that the US quarantine facilities are very good and also that the people there are very caring and are experts.

African Greys fall under Appendix II of CITES list of species. Appendix II species do not require an import permit from the destination country (there could be other laws in the destination country with reference to bird import, I am only describing CITES requirements) but need an export or re-export permit from the country of origin. You will need an export permit from Jamaican Authorities. I am giving below the link for the Jamaican contacts for CITES:

http://www.cites.org/cms/index.php/lang-en/component/ncd/?country=JM

Good Luck to you.