NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New grey owner

timnehgrey10

Thank you all alot for helping me with my last post. I have one more issue i need some experienced opinions on. My Timneh is almost 3 months old now, all is well except he is so careless when he is playing that he has broken two tail feathers. How can i prevent him from doing that and is it a bad thing?

She is spot on as always. :-)

Your Grey is a baby in all sense of the word. Coordination, balance and good judgement on distances all come with experience and playing.

Actually for the body size, Grey's have proportionally small feet.

So, you can not prevent him from doing that, just as you can not prevent a child from falling due to errors in judgement and lack of complete coordination.

Thanks. Another recent issue ive come across lately is that ive noticed his beak is like peeling at the base. I have been reading about it. Some say get a concrete perch and some say not to. I have also seen that he may be not getting enough water or nutrition. I always have fresh spring or distilled water for him and I am still using the baby grey food mixing a little medium food with it. Thanks for the great help as always!

It is natural for their beak to flake, it is constantly growing and they do wipe their beak on lots of things, this helps to remove the flakes. A concrete perch, several of them at places in his cage where he is sure to use them would be useful not only for the beak but to help keep the talons filed down as they can get mighty sharp on the ends.