NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Swine Flu jumped to cats and ferrets

poochbabe

I just heard on the news today that a cat and two ferrets were recently diagnosed with swine flu, one ferret died from it. Do you think it could show up in Greys since they, and all birds, are so prone to respiratory illnesses?

I was invited to Thanksgiving at my boyfriend's sister's home and she and her daughter just got over swine flu. I was going to take Ganesha but I think I will leave her home to play it safe after this news. Any thoughts from anyone?

Guest jamalbirdbiz

the sWinez doeznt scare me and minez. :evil: We gotz it under raps. B)<br><br>Post edited by: jamalbirdbiz, at: 2009/11/06 04:27

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new the forums and new to parrots. However, I do know that the trouble with H1N1 is that it is a combination of swine flu and bird flu together. I didn't check the link about but I am betting that is what it is about. My dog and cat vet says it is a very good time to be aware of all zoonotic diseases (those that can skip species) and has been taking a number of specialty courses in them for just this reason.

Basicaly, I would be careful. I would also be careful of anyone handling your birds who shows signs of the flu. I still see way too many people who are going out and about trying to feel better and talking themselves out of the fact that they have the flu.