NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need help with training

AvonLady1

Hey ya'll. My name is Jacky and I live by Albany, NY. I have an AGC a sulfer crested cockatoo, and a jenday conure. I have no problem taking my little jenday out of his cage, but the other two I have big problems with. I bought the African grey when he or she was about 7 months old and I have had him for about 2 years. He has NEVER stepped up in his life. My cockatoo has been passed from home to home to home for the first 3 years of his life. My fiance and I finally bought him and he had a fairly good temperment. He would step up, say hello for a peanut, lift his wing fo my fiance to pet under. One day I held him and he got nervous and bit my arm very badly. Then the same thing happened with my fiance. It's been about 5-6 months since he has been out of his cage and I feel horrible! I have been working with him (Scooter) in his cage since then. Scooter will let me pet his beak, he likes when I put my head by his cage so he can play with my hair, and he just like me talking to him. I am too scared to take him out of his cage, one he doesn't have his wings clipped, and two, I don't want to get hurt and then shake him off of me and he get hurt. I feel so bad for my African Grey and my Cockatoo! I want them out of the cage and with me. I want to do daily activities like play on the computer, do homework, wash some dishes with them taking turns on my shoulder, or walking around on my table, or on their play stand. I need a trainer who will come to my house and work with me and my birds. I will pay per session, whatever amount you want! I cannot see life without my birds, so giving them up is not an option! I feel so bad for them, I try and picture my whole life just in a cage, and it seems really boring, will someone please help me?

I commend you for realising you need help with your birds.I am in uk so cant recomend a trainer but what I can say is if you go down that road be carefull who you choose, Some are hopeless and do more harm than good.Read up some of Barbra heidenrichs books and internet sites, she is one of the best and uses positive reenforcement in her training methods .Dont go for any quick cure methods of training they dont work. From your post the problems sound deep routed and will take time and patiance any yes maybe the odd bite before they are resolved.

To me it sounds like you got bit and lost confidence,if thats the case you must sort this out as the birds will sence your fear and be scared themselves. Scooter sounds quite loving to me and I bet if you curb your fear he will be a right sweetheart.Please let us know what you decide to do.

I encourage you to invite a trainer over who is trained in and uses positive reinforcement ONLY. We are very fortunate to have someone like that in our area (Portland Oregon), and she trained me and my husband more than she trained Ursula.

Ursula is completely tame and bonded to us, but she was getting very resistant to stepping up, particularly for me. She would nip at my hand when I offered it and a couple times bit rather hard.

Our trainer emphasized again and again and again - tiny, incremental steps and an immense amount of patience. She said NEVER to force Ursula to step up with our hand, but rather to reward her whenever she does. First I had to reward her (food treats, or giving her something else she wanted) just for letting my hand be near her and not biting! Then we worked on my hand getting closer. Then we worked on her stepping up, getting the treat, and then getting to step right back down. Then we worked on moving a little. Time and time again I was inclined to skip steps and push the process, but our trainer kept emphasizing the tiny steps. Now Ursula rarely even nips at my hand, although she may not choose to step up at a given time. However, more and more often she chooses to come with me because I have shown her that positive experiences result from it.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that we humans need the training more than the parrots do, so I encourage you to spare no effort or cost in getting some help! It can make all the difference. It also has made me learn how to tune into Ursula more - looking for the opportunities to give her what she wants, whether it's to move to particular place or play with the pen I am writing with. Listening and watching carefully for those opportunities to bond - it has been very educational!