NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Whimpering and regurgitating?

Turp23

My female CAG has only been with me for a few days but for some reason she starts whimpering and when I get near her she puts her leg up and steps onto my arm then begins regurgitating her food. At first she was just on my shoulder asking me to scratch her head, then the whimpering began followed by regurgitation. The bird otherwise is not very comfortable around me and rarely steps up. I put her back in the cage for now but she is going all over the place trying to get out. What should I do?

Whimpering and regurgitation are generally signs of a frisky parrot who has chosen his "mate" but much of this will depend on your parrot's age. For a 4-5+ year old parrot this would more than likely be the case but if yours is a baby then I supsect she is just showing she is comfortable with you as a valued member of her flock. This would be my take on it anyway but I'm sure other more knowledgeable members will chip in with their thoughts too.

My two year old Casper started whimpering like a puppy and drooping his wings not long ago, but he has stopped doing it now. I thought he was getting frisky at first, but i found out he was to young so i don't know why he done it.

Both my cags regurgitate and try to feed me with it yuk! I think their just tfying to tell me they love me.

I would'nt worry to much about her trying to get out. When mine were babies they did the same, but settled down after a while.

I believe your new CAG was trying to let you know she accepted you as her flock. Let her out of her cage and just relax. If she tries to regurgitate and whimpers, ignore the gestures and distract her. Enjoy your new grey. There are many thread here about regurgitation and whimpering and oodles of other things greys do. Read, read, read!

At 12 years old she could be a little hormonal. She obviously has taken a liking to you and is letting you know that.

However, being so mature and set in many ways. You are going to need to keep her on the program she is used to of sitting on her cage door and chilling. As you know, if you interrupt her routine, a bite will let you know thats not what she wants right then..

Just spend more time letting her chill while you talk to her and go about normal things in the room. She will get used to you and feel more secure each day as she learns you are not a threat and that perhaps more out of cage time and closer interaction is welcomed if she so desires.

Just go slow, she is very new to you home with only 5 or so days there. :-)