NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Incessant Preening

Dutch

Ok here is the first of my many questions I'm sure I will have. My 5 y.o. female, Breeze, seems to be preening a lot. Maybe they do that, but she has

created a small bald spot in the middle of her chest and on her back an inch or so above her tail. I don't think it's the classic "feather plucking", as she is not bored. Should I be concerned?

-Dutch

You may not be familiar with the specific facts concerning greys as opposed to other species of parrots so one answer to one of many you'll have is

Greys have extremely dry and sometimes itchy skin. They need to be bathed frequently. Misting is one method, bathing is another. What you describe doesn't sound like molting. You would know when it's molting but also don't assume that a happy bird will not do what your grey is doing. Happiness has nothing to do it. Nervousness, tension, other pets, low humidity in the bird area and of course, the most common which is dry, itchy skin that is covered with dander. So, try the frequent bathing/ misting. After you get that down, you can purchase Aloe Vera Juice at many stores which when sprayed on a bird's skin will keep the skin soft and supple.

PS--it's most important that a bird's skin must be soaked. No towel drying--no hair dryers should be used<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/04 05:40

I didn't know they had dry skin issues. We are in Arizona where we have relative humidity that hovers around the 20% mark most of the year. So she has water available in her cage, on her playstand, and on her "kitchen" stand. When you say frequent mistings, do you mean like weekly or more often? We haven't bathed her yet as she has only been with us for a couple of days so far, but we we do that today.

Thanks

-Dutch<br><br>Post edited by: Dutch, at: 2009/11/04 13:18

I mist Harvey at least twice a week with Aloe in a spray, and then once a week he has a shower in the shower cubicle.

Harvey has very itchy skin at present as he is moulting and has a lot of pin feathers coming through around his face, breast, in between his "shoulder blades" and I've just discovered that his little tail is now sprouting.

It's driving him mad at the minute - but the frequent mistings help enormously.

I try to bathe Josey twice a week, I take her into the shower and get her as wet as I can for she won't help by opening up her feathers but I do the best I can.

You should bathe your bird at least twice or maybe three times since you live where it stays relatively dry and use the aloe vera juice.

Welcome Dutch!!!

Looking forward to hearing how the "Misting" went with your Grey. It will not resolve the dry skin issue over night, but will certainly help.

You will need to learn the method your Grey is must comfortable with, if any. :-)

Do you have any background on this Grey? Perhaps the previous owners could give you good pointers on how they performed this.

Also, if she's only been there a few days, you just need to build trust with her in the new surrounding s and people and or critters.

Looking forward to hearing how this goes. :-)