NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introduction

Dutch

Greetings all,

I posted this in my "About me", but am reposting here. My name is Dutch. My wife, Ten, and I adopted a 5 year-old Congo Grey this past weekend. "Breeze" was in the part of the bird store where they didn't get a lot of interaction - kinda the "leftovers" sad-to-say. Of course the Scarlet and Blue & Gold Macaws were out in full view. We have done our research and decided we wanted a Grey. Ten used to be a petshop kennel-tech and had grown very fond of a Grey where she worked. I have adopted small parrots in the past. So neither of us are new to the bird world. Breeze was apprently not on the adoption short-list, as she has a bit of a disability. When she was very young she was attacked by another bird and is now lacking one toe and all but one claw on her left foot. Her right foot is lacking one claw. We spent an hour or so with her on Saturday in the shop - what a lover! We went back Sunday to adopt her and purchase all the needed equipment. Knowing her "disability", we changed out the cage perches for smaller diameter ones and carefully searched for a big eough table-top playstand with smaller diameter branches. And I built several smaller T-stands to spread around the house where needed. Even tho we were told to let her stay in her cage for 24-48 hours we couldn't resist and took her out onto her playstand after about 4 hours. We petted and talked to her for some time... then she shocked us! She started talking to us.... just a few random words, but it only goes to show what a loving environment can do! After a short bit, she started getting a a little cranky and we put her back in the cage.. and she started drinking and eating for the first time in our home! We alternated this the rest of the day - an hour or so in the cage and about a half hour out - until bedtime. Last night (day 2 of her life with us) she began verbally placing orders at what seems to be a MacDonald's drive thru, asking for a "hamburger" and "large soda". What a crack up she is. What an addition to our flock of 2 humans and 3 dogs of assorted sizes, and great beginning of a new life for our little scrapper!

Dutch & Ten

This is a very cool story, and I think that Breeze will be very happy in your home. The level of care you've already shown will foster this little one's spirits and provide you with a very happy (and probably talkative) companion for many years to come.

Kudos to you for taking on a disabled grey, and for not only making the proper changes to ensure a happy cage life, but also for making stands so that she can be outside the cage.

I also agree that the environment is what makes the parrot (happy or sad). I let Talula sit outside her cage for the first few hours the night I got her home, and I let her out often. This has been good for her emotional wellbeing, and that shows with how friendly she has become towards new humans.

Karma points to you!

What a great introduction Dutch about your sweet grey, Breeze. I love the name!! Karma to you for taking in an older grey. She is going to have a happy and loving life thanks to you and Ten. We love pictures, so if you get a chance, we would love to see your beautiful Breeze. So glad you joined the forum!

Life is always more interesting when you leave the beaten path... or front window of the pet store. Glad you went in and found Breeze. Keep her away from the phones and credit cards... she sounds like the old episodes of the alien Alf placing her fast food orders. Congratulations to you both for introducing this little doll into your lives. Enjoy.

Hello Dutch and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Breeze.

I am so happy you could find it in your heart to take this wonderful grey into your home, shame on the store for putting her where she wouldn't be seen much because of her disability, most would assume no one would want a cripple but they are so wrong.

Breeze sounds like she is settling into her new home, no doubt she is very grateful for the love and attention she is receiving now so continue what you are doing for it works.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Breeze you would share with us we would love to see her.

@Jingles:

The dogs aren't quite sure what to think of Breeze yet. The Dalmation wants to sniff her all the time, the mini long-haired Dachshound wants to play with her, and the Schnoodle just looks at her. When her playstand is in the computer room, it is on a very low table. So I set up an X-pen around it. Each panel is 24" and her stand base is 18"x18" so it affords a nice buffer between her and the dogs. The Dal is a bit clumsy so it prevents her from bumping into the stand. Breeze never has a really good grip on a perch so a hard enough nudge can knock her off her perch.

Her cage is in a corner of the computer room, which was originally a dining room I think. There is a pocket door to the kitchen and glass Fench doors to the foyer. So at night we close both doors and don't have to worry about the dogs pestering her! :)

-Dutch

Post edited by: Dutch, at: 2009/11/04 13:46<br><br>Post edited by: Dutch, at: 2009/11/04 13:49

What a sweet loving introduction of you, Ten, Breeze and the pooches! Congrats on the new addition to the family and especially for taken the road less traveled in finding her.

Sounds like a beautiful beginning to a wonderful, long happy life!

Welcome to the family Dutch & Company.