NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Air Purifiers

Codys Mom

All air purifiers work on the the principal of removing microscopic particals from a room/couple of rooms that people occupy. The purifiers are not made for birds. Purifiers don't have the power to pull in bird dust/ dander which is extremely heavy and won't remain floating around the air drifting towards a purifier. The dust that purifiers pull in are usually invisible to people and that dust floats around a room and stays airborne. That type of dust stays in the air and eventually gets pulled into the purifier if it gets close enough to the machine. When purchasing a purifier, it states exactly the weight of the dust that the machine is made for and all bird dander is much heavier and will land on the floor, furniture or cages. The different sized purifiers also explain and specify how much area it's made for because all rooms are different sizes. Some of that bird dust made stay in the air so the machine can pull it in but not much remains in the air. Purifiers are made strength wise to pull in microscopic dust that eventually gets pulled in if it floats about 3 to 6 ft from the machine. Any filters/purifiers that are used in a house must be used in a totally enclosed room otherwise the automatic shut off feature will never work because any microscopic dust coming from other rooms will continue to be pulled in never allowing the machine to shut off.

People with breathing problems or people who want dust free rooms use air purifiers. Purifiers never purify a room that has a bird/birds near by. The dander of the bird is much heavier than .003 microns.

So, if you want to greatly lessen the dust in a bird area, the best thing to use is an exhaust fan which is extremely powerful positioned near a window so that the heavier dander/dust can be sucked out.

No matter what kind of machine is used, a bird area is never dust free especially with birds that are constantly producing dander which they flap off with their wings.

PS--if a person were to paint a room in which strong odor remains, an air purifier will never pull the odor out of that room quickly because it's much too weak to do that. A strong exhaust fan will definitely suck out the residual odor much more quickly if that exhaust fan is positioned right next to a window because of it's extremely strong power.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/11/03 20:39

I think the real issue with removing dander is going to boil down to the CFM rating of either the exhaust fan or the filter.

For example I can easily find exhaust fans with a much lower CFM rating than my filter(250 CFM), and I doubt that in that case those fans would be more effective.

I do agree that if bird dander is the only concern, then a good exhaust fan is probably more cost effective than a filter.

RudysMom wrote:

was just wondering if I need to buy a air purifier for the birds?

Out of curiosity why are you wondering if you need an air purifier?

Are you having allergy issues? If so are you certain the birds are a factor? (just curious about whether you have actually observed an issue that needs addressing, and what that issue might be).