NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not a Grey..BUT

RdnkParamedic21

Hey everyone, I had a chance last night that I absolutly could not pass up. One of my parners I work with was going to have to put her Green Cheek Conure (Cujo, born 06/22/2006) up for adoption due to her cockatiels not getting along with him. So I offered to take him home, he is very scared yet as can be expected but does let his feathers down on occation already. I found out so far, he loves the taste of my fingers (bite marks to prove it:P ), he loves to hang from the pull string of the blinds (like the paratrooper bird thread..he does that) and he will burrow under anything and just chill there, blankets, towels whatever he can find.. I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop, I may not be around alot the next couple days, trying to get Cujo more comfortable. So, I will leave you with some PICS!!

Cujo.jpg

Cujo.jpg

Green checks are famous for being nippy but it can be worked around/with. Good luck with your new bird.

Funny how they wont keep a bird cause it wont get along with another bird. They were not well informed were they? As long as they didn't plan to cage together seems they should of worked it out. Sounds like a lame excuse to get rid of a nipper.

Sorry just rambling. Love the pictures. Hope you can get a head shot to enter in the contest in the other bird area.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/21 17:52

Yes Dan I guess you are happy now, you have another member of the bite club, ha ha ha.

Nice pics of your new bird, Josh and congrats to you on giving it a home, I know you will get along fine and will be good practice for you for when that grey comes into your life.

Thanks for sharing these with us and looking forward to hearing more about the conure.:)

I knew they were nippy long before I got him, but I had a lovebird (rescued) that was more nippy and aggressive than any bird I have ever met so I am up to the challenge and will work with him. As for the excuse to get rid of him, yes it was very lame I thought the same thing as you guys, I do believe it was just because he is nippy, like all green cheeks. I think she got Cujo from a friend who got rid of him due to nippiness also, which I don't think his nipping is all that bad, he does need to learn better how to step up which is where most of his nipping comes in. So I will work with him on that and I don't forsee it being a "major" problem, the scars just make for better stories right? lol:P And Tricky, I sure do plan on getting a grey also, I will be waiting untill after I am done with school (next summer) so I will have more time and money to support that kind of bird.

You certainly show a lot of wisdom for someone who is just 21, I am so very proud of you for taking in this bird that has had several homes now but this will be the last one, right? You can work on the stepping up and maybe the nipping will at least diminish some but in the meantime wear your battle scars with honor.

Keep up the good work Josh, you would make any mother proud. Karma to you.

Guest briansmum

aww josh he's so cute, yu've done the right thing. im sure in time his nipping will wear off. karma for you ;)

Yes Judy, this WILL be Cujo's last home, and his favorite..He's spoiled already, he loves his new cage 4'x2'x2' much better than his old 1.5'x2' and found he loves spray millet, which I now know with him will have to be a special treat. Tari, I'm not familiar with the wobble correction, is there somewhere I could read up on it?

Hmm not sure but when you have a bird on your hand and they nip if you do a slight wobble every time. Not an earthquake don't want him to fall but just a slight wobble so they have to stop what they are doing to grip better. In now time most birds well stop nipping.

Ill need to look up something on that. Its something I learned from a quaker book. lol Cause they can be nippy too.

Don't put the bird in its cage either, should it bite. This only reinforces territoriality about the bird's cage, and the parrot will quickly equate bite = back to cage. The bird will then bite whenever and however often it feels like going back to its cage.

A good bite correction is a wobble. If the bird is perched on your hand, and bites, drop your hand quickly. The bird loses it's balance and has to release the bite. This is unpleasant (imagine the floor dropping out from under you unexpectedly.) but effective. The bird soon learns to associate "bite = wobble", and will stop biting when on a hand.

Found that at.

http://www2.upatsix.com/faq/tame.htm<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/21 19:20

HE STEPED-UP ON COMMAND TODAY!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: And NOT ONE bite!!! He is still kinda skiddish but he was all over his cage exploring today, I got him out a while ago and did a little step up practice he jumped on my hand the first time and a few times after that right away too with not one bite. I just wanted to let you guys know, and I have a thank you for your help with a pic of Cujo with his FAVORITE treat:)

Cujo-2c66b87ceb091f38517b6db3bd38fa39.jpg

Cujo-2c66b87ceb091f38517b6db3bd38fa39.jpg

Sounds like you are really working with him Josh. It seems to be paying off for you in very short order.

It is obvious from your comments and the photo that the two of you are already starting to have a good time.

It will only get better :-)

Thanks Dan and Judy, its starting to look really great! I don't know why she didnt want him anymore I have worked with him not long and over 2 days and he is not bitting at all right now.. He LOVES music!! He will sing and dance until he falls asleep from all the activity lol:P He's a real comedy act, and getting more comfortable with being on, or very near me really quick:) :) :)