NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New first time owner with an older bird

Turp23

Hi, I just picked up my 12 year old CAG female 3 days ago. I was having a lot of fun with her the first day where she seemed to take a quick liking to me and stepped up when I asked. Now, she doesn't step up unless she wants to and she tries to bite me if I try to force a step up. She has a bunch of toys in her cage that she doesn't play with and she rarely even sits inside the cage. She likes to perch on the cage door and just relax really. Her old family took care of her but they didn't seem to socialize with her much. She's a good talker but she doesn't like playing. Will she eventually adapt to the new home and be more comfortable around me and her toys?

Hi Turp,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would say it's still very early days for your grey - what's her name?, Just give her some time and space to settle in to her new home, don't force anything with her, she may resent you for it.

There are some very knowlegable members on here who will give you some excellent advice, but I would say for the time being, just be patient and let her come to you.

Is she your first grey?

We like pictures here, so if you have a chance to upload some photos, we'd love to see them!

Any questions, just ask!

Lyn & Alfie

x

Her name is Maya, and she is my first Grey. My cousin had one for a while and me and that bird really bonded so I decided to get one for myself. Her behavior is very strange, one second she steps up and wants to play the next she doesn't want anything to do with anyone. Here is the only picture I have of her so far:dsc00915f.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Turp23, at: 2009/11/02 00:48

Hello Turp23 and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Maya.

The first couple of days were like the honeymoon phase and she was on her best behavior and now she is showing more of her true personality. That will become more apparent as time goes by.

Due to her age it will take longer for her to settle into her new home so give her plenty of time to feel comfortable and be very patient with her if she was not handled much as she will have to learn to trust you.

You may have to play with her toys yourself to show her how much fun you are having, greys don't usually like to be left out of what is going on around them and she may just need some encouragement to do so.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks for sharing a picture of Maya with us, she is a beautiful grey.

Maya is such a pretty vibrant looking CAG. Congratulations on getting an "experienced" bird. She will surely teach you a lot of things. In the meantime, while she is surveying her new kingdom, there are a lot of really helpful people with loads of experience on this forum. Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to lots more when Maya gets more settled with you.