NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

rescue Grey

Smardypanz12

Congrats on taking in a rescued grey, you will find that most greys fit the description of being afraid of fast movement, they are by nature very cautious of anything new and different.

I would give her plenty of time to settle into her new home, don't rush her, it takes time for a grey especially one who has had a previous home to feel comfortable and she has to come to trust you to feel secure.

Maybe she needs some help with playing with toys, put some in her cage and play with them yourself to show her what to do with them, make out like you are having a great time and it will entice her to join in.

Well, that depends on the cat. I have two greys (one a ten year old female, rescue) and two cats (both girls).

The cats are in fear of the birds, mostly thanks to the 17 year old boy. He don't take well to cats jumping into his cage and snooping around (bit one hard enough that she bled). But your grey won't do this, and as such, you're right to be concerned.

I'd advise keeping kitty closed up in the bedroom for the first week and let the bird out as normal. This is important to her psyche, as she's used to that routine -- it would be good to continue it.

After a week, so she gets established, let the cat out while she's out and keep a constant eye on them. Obviously while she's in the cage the cat will be out, and you can observe how the cat reacts. If the cat sits at the cage and stares, that's a bad sign. If the cat seems uninterested, that's a better sign but not one that it's all going to be OK. Some animals hold back their agression for years -- one lady posted of going to the garage to get a box and came back to find the dogs had attacked her grey. They've lived together for 10+ years, and no signs of agression, until that day.

It's never a good idea to leave greys out of the cage with cats around. I put them up if I need to go upstairs, or take them with me.

Also, I would play with the toys out of the cage and then put them in. Hopefully she will play. Try pine cones (NOTE: get them from someone's yard who DOES NOT use fetalizers/herbacides/sprays on their grass, I can't advise getting cones from any old parking lot as those tend to be treated and I fear the toxicity of the chemicals and the fragile immune system of greys).

My girl LOVES pine cones. Put some seeds that she likes (my girl likes pumpkin) inside the cone and cover it with peanut butter. That'll give her an incentive to tear it apart. Doing this has gotten Talula to play with other toys.

Also, Good Bird Magazine talked about taking paper cups and stuffing them with crumpled napkin balls filled with seed, and strining them up.. this is a great forraging toy that is rewarding too!

I have had good luck with reading outloud to my female. She also takes intent notice of me when I sing to the radio. try reading the newspaper/online articles/forum posts to her. Just pull up a chair and read out loud, make eye contact. These things build a level of trust, but also form a routine. If you drink coffee in the AM and read the paper as part of your routine, add the parrot into it and read aloud.

But I would say don't pick her up or try and handle her too much in the first few weeks. She needs to settle in. Obviously if she offers a foot while you stand in front of the cage or walk by, she wants up, and let her.

Have you had parrots before? are you prepared for the inevitable bite? Not to scare you, but it will happen! Just remember to stay calm and think that this is a misbehaving 2-year old human girl whose parents were murdered and she's been thrown about the foster care system. If you can keep that image in your head, you'll understand why she's so scared and untrusting.

Good luck and Karma to you for taking in a rescue. You've earned it!

Cats can never be trusted round birds,you just dont know when instinct will take over.Your new grey will need time to get aquainted with a new home and people.You have been given some great advise.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/10/30 22:52

We have a good system going here where everyone has his or her little sanctuary place where they are happy and safe in crates or cage in the same room. When we brought home our first bird, the cats wanted into their hard sided kennels to have peace from her. They have both passed in the three years of having Java. We got puppies this year and for a few months, they went into their crates and she was not allowed to torment them. Now just when it is quiet and settled, we are bringing home our second bird and will have to go slowly setting boundaries again. Every pet has special time one on one and they seem to know they have a safe place that is only theirs. None of them have been aggressive but they don't have any chances to be unsupervised either.