NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any ideas?

skmunson

My tag, Benji, will occasionally wrap his whole beak around one of my fingers--taking the whole width of my finger all the way to the back of his mouth--and, without applying any pressure, will move his head forward and back furiously.

What is this? It seems like some kind of affectionate thing not aggressive or hostile.

He's doing the birdy equivalent of suckling on your finger. The pumping is his attempt to "feed". In his mind your finger should be regurgitating a yummy crop stew into his beak.

Sam will do this too me sometimes, when we are playing and he grabs my finger a certain way. He opens his wings and arches his head back while pumping his head up and down. He's still pretty young so I guess its his desire to be back in the "nest" sometimes.

When he does it I usually gently remove my finger. I'm not sure I want to encourage the behavior since it doesn't seem fair to have him want to be fed this way by fingers that can't vomit :sick:

Tom

I forgot to add that this can be a sign of affection because bonded pairs will feed each other. Often when a bird is feeling "birdy love" for you he'll pump his head up and down to work up a slimey treat for you. You just haven't been loved until you've been offered a gooey, slimey beakfull of, yum, "stuff".