NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why a Great Vet is Demanded!

rbpittman

Today I took Beau in for his second visit with Dr. Jose. This vet is extremely expensive and does extensive testing, but given the results of Beau's blood work, x-rays and the research that was done, I think I got off pretty darn cheap if you ask me.

First off - Dr. Jose questioned the diagnosis of a crop burn as the reason for Beau's plucking his breast and the ensuing chewing of feathers on his right wing. His first question to me was "How was it diagnosed?" Of course, I didn't take Beau to the first vet, I didn't have him yet, so I couldn't answer the question. I could say where he went. Dr. Jose took the time to call that vet for clarification. "No, there was not a scope inspection of the crop, just a hypothesis." He was also diagnosed with a yeast infection by this vet. "A course of 7 days injection antibiotics should have done the trick."

Dr. Jose did a complete CBC blood panel and testing for the possible diseases which could have caused such plucking and feather chewing. (Glad to report - all tests for disease came back negative.) The results of Beau's blood work came back with all levels in the appropriate places except his white cell count. It was highly elevated. A repeat of blood work for white cell count was in order - still elevated.

On the first visit Dr. Jose did a body x-ray which was to be repeated today. The first x-ray showed some cloudiness around the lung area, but since it was not done after fasting, it could be cloudy due to food. Today's x-ray (after fasting for 12 hours) showed some of the same cloudiness and confirmed Dr. Jose's concern that Beau has pnuemonia. He received an injection of antibiotics in the office with oral antibiotics to be administered twice a day at home.

On the first visit Dr. Jose removed 22 feather shafts from Beau's right wing. Today upon examination there unfortunately has been some additional feather chewing, but tiny little flight feathers are starting to emerge and the amount of feather chewing is decreased by about 90%. The removal site is clean, the skin is pink and plump and all looks good. No signs of irritation or damage to the wing.

Conclusion: Dr. Jose believe's that if Beau did suffer from a crop burn it was on the back of his crop and the cloudy spots on the x-ray were from infection (the pnuemonia) where food had seeped through the burn, or a more probable scenario - Beau had been aspirated during a hand feeding and this caused the infection.

All in all - had I not gone to see the vet, things may not have turned out as well. We will be continuing to see Dr. Jose and a behaviorist to work on the problems of feather chewing. Dr. Jose doesn't want the behavior to continue, understands that it may, but also believes strongly that it is all caused by the illness. As he explained it - birds hide their illnesses to the point of creating other problems to hide the bigger problems. In three weeks my baby has gone from a bare breasted plucker on hand feedings for comfort to one who is ready to eat in his cage with any hand feedings and a breast that is covered with downy feathers. In time his wing will be fully feathered and we will learn to fly again!

DSC02167.jpg

Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/10/29 01:04<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/10/29 01:07

Thanks for the support. This has been a labor of love for my baby. With my first grey (Dixie) all I had to do was bring her home and love her. She is 19 months old and talks non-stop, plays well with her toys and seems to be a very happy litle girl. While not a cuddle muffin like Beau, her independence is appreciated and respected. We do have moments of closeness which are added joys as our trust grows. Beau is only 4 months old and I'm hoping with all the support and love of the forum members and the love and care I can give Beau he will too be as happy and healthy as Dixie. I'm not sure I want him to be as independent as she is, but I know with maturity that will come (I'm a total mush for the cuddles).

Robin, Thanks for the update. Dr. Jose is certainly thorough and to call the other vet straight away to get a handle on what was done was admirable. You have come a long way already with Beau and to think he is getting a clear diagnosis and on the road to recovery is a blessing. Glad you are willing to go the extra mile for him, he needed you.

I couldn't believe it when I clicked on here and saw that picture of GBG - look at the difference!!! Your vet sounds like an absolute treasure Robin, oh to have one like that round here!

It's not nice finding out that Beau has pneumonia - but at the same time - it's now been discovered and treated and will help Beau along the way to a fit and healthy life.

I just cannot believe the difference in him! Thanks for the update :)