NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A dopey Question ?

Supernova

Scientific knowledge in this area is still incomplete, but I believe all birds are currently thought to be descended from a family of dinosaurs called "Dromaeosauridae" (the raptors in Jurassic Park belong to this family).

However there is also some debate about whether Dromaeosauridae should be classified as dinosaurs, or birds...

particle77 wrote:

Scientific knowledge in this area is still incomplete, but I believe all birds are currently thought to be descended from a family of dinosaurs called "Dromaeosauridae" (the raptors in Jurassic Park belong to this family).

However there is also some debate about whether Dromaeosauridae should be classified as dinosaurs, or birds...

Interesting. I can see the relationship in intelligence and cunning maneuvers!

I won't go into a creation versus evolution debate on this forum.

I will only say, I did not evolve from an ape......

The imagery and imaginations we read and see in mock up animations are just the individuals fantasy. They have no idea what color these creatures were, if they had fur or feathers and no clue what they sounded like. They also do not have a clue of the intelligence.

It is all just theory and speculation......

All I know, is if saw any of the prehistoric critters coming my way, I would run like hell. :P

danmcq wrote:

They have no idea what color these creatures were, if they had fur or feathers :P

There actually is fossil evidence of feathers for several species of dinosaur.

In addition, because of the way feathers produce color, some feather fossils actually contain enough information to identify the color of the feather (as far as I know this has only been done with extinct birds, not dinosaurs feathers)

That said, the main point is correct. the dinosaurs in Jurasic Park appear bird like because they were modeled after birds during movie production.

Just saying, birds of olde seem to have had more interesting color mutations.

Which brings us into the solid red african grey mutation that was bred in captivity.

not to mention the white tailed AG, the albino and the "F2" that has a red stripe of feathers across the belly or back.

danmcq wrote:

Actually, it just proves birds existed 40 million years ago (If you believe carbon dating accuracy). It is not a dino attached to that feather, it was a bird. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/10/29 21:00

I beleive I said that too.

Doesn't change the fact that dino feather fossils exist (I saw them when they were touring the museum circuit)

I was just adding that the possability for determining feather color based purely on fossils exists.

particle77 wrote:

[Doesn't change the fact that dino feather fossils exist (I saw them when they were touring the museum circuit)I was just adding that the possability for determining feather color based purely on fossils exists.

Actually, it does not exist "Yet". It may in the future.

I qoute: ""The ‘Holy Grail' is reconstructing the colors of feathered dinosaurs," said Yale graduate student and paper lead author Jakob Vinther. "We are working hard to determine if this will be possible.""

All the points and comments brought out in this thread are truly informative and interesting.

Thank you all for building on this topic. :-)