NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm new!!

Piper

Hi All!

I'm new here. What an awesome forum!! thanks

I have a small problem. My grey is totally hyper active! It's a boy and he's almost 1 year old now.

When I see other people's greys, they sit quietly and piecefully on top or inside their cage.

But mine can't sit still for one second. He eats everything he sees (like a puppy), he throws all his food out of the bowls. When he sits on top of the cage he jumps off and his wings are clipped, so he can't fly.

And a lot of the time when he sits on my shoulder he also jumps off, but there ain't anything that could frighten him.

Is this normal for his age? Is there something that I can do so that he can be a bit more calm?

It's really becoming a problem, because I can't leave him outside of the cage without keeping an eye on him 24/7. And this results that I have to keep him in the cage much more than I and he wants to.

Please help!

;-)

Welcome piper!!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

Your Grey sounds like perfectly normal young Grey exploring a new and exciting world. They will also always want to be fairly close to you at all times at such a young age.

Yes, all parrots much be watched 24/7 when out. You can never trust that they will stay where you last left them or not get into something the minute you turn your head.

You you have things to do or places to go, cage your bird and go do them. They need to get used to being caged at different times of the day. :-)

Hello Piper - welcome to the forum.

When I read your posting I was saying "check", "check", "check" in my head - as everything you describe is the same in my house!

Harvey is the same age and is indeed as mischievous! When Harvey is out of his cage (which is all of the time nearly that I'm in) I have one eye on him and one eye on what I'm doing (oh I sound so attractive)!

He gets put in his cage when I'm ironing - this is about the only activity he doesn't take part in!

Looking forward to learning more about you and yours (and compare notes)!! Jill x

Oh my sounds like you have a perfectly normal active grey. An independent fellow much like my little Ana Grey. All greys need to be watched 24/7 if they are outside of their cages. Does your grey have lots of foraging and chewing toys around to play with? What is your little fellows name?