NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

45 Actual reasons why parrots are given up!

lovethatgrey

Frankly, I find this list astounding and truly disappointing.:(

1. Got tired of the bird

2. Didn’t spend enough time with the bird

3. Spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend doesn’t like the bird

4. Family member developed an allergy

5. Moved

6. Bird screams too much/too noisy

7. Bird too messy

8. Work hours changed

9. Have new interests

10. Changed jobs

11. Got married

12. Got divorced

13. Got pregnant

14. Landlord won’t allow birds

15. Bird chewed up furniture

16. Bird started biting the kids

17. Kids started hitting the bird

18. Husband hits the bird

19. Cage doesn’t match new furniture and new décor

20. Bird started biting me

21. Bird started biting my husband

22. Started traveling and going on vacations

23. Started dating

24. Bird needs too much attention

25. Bird doesn’t talk

26. Bird talks too much

27. New bird doesn’t like my other bird

28. Other bird doesn’t like my new bird

29. Neighbor complained about the noise

30. Kids won’t feed or water the bird

31. Kids won’t clean the bird’s cage

32. My bird is sick and I can’t afford to pay for treatment

33. My bird is sick and I won’t pay for treatment

34. My cat tries to hurt my bird

35. My bird tries to hurt my cat

36. I found the bird and didn’t want him anyway

37. My bird doesn’t like me

38. My bird likes me too much and tries to mate with me

39. My bird only liked my boyfriend and now my boyfriend is gone

40. I decided I want a bird that is more colorful.

41. I like my new bird better

42. My bird is mean and I can’t handle him

43. My bird doesn’t do anything but sit in his cage

44. My bird gets into everything and won’t sit still in his cage

45. I decided I want to buy a baby monkey…and birds and monkeys don’t get along…right

Quite a list. Frankly I believe that if a person doesn't want to keep a bird or any pet then that fid or companion is much better off being re-homed with someone who will love and care with them with respect. The best solution, of course, is to know what you are getting into before a purchase is made then abandonment won't be an issue.

Some of these reasons are truly astounding. Of all there are only a few I would consider "valid" resons.

1. A serious allergy

2. Landlord wouldn't allow birds

3. Bird started biting baby/children

Some other "valid" reasons could've been avoided before buying the bird or before adding another pet ie. why would anyone buy a bird if they already own a cat or visa versa? They are KNOWN enemies, I realise it can work but it's a risk. Why would anyone buy a bird if they can't afford the vet? It's obvious that some pet owners fail to look at the bigger picture or think it through, in fact some pet owners treat their pets as an accessory or household ornament. Shocking!

There are uncountable reasons people buy pets of any type and then get rid of them.

It is sad. But most people just do not think about the costs in terms of time, natural behavior, possible wounds, home destruction, furniture destruction, clothing destruction, allergies, medical costs whether emergency or just check-ups etc.

Thus the need for all these shelters, rescues and putting them to sleep by the millions each year.

The saddest part, is most don't even try to find a loving home for them. It's just straight to the SPCA, drop them off and walk away feeling relieved of the "Burden" with no thought given to the fact the critter is probably going to be put to sleep or go from home to home to home and have a miserable and much shortened life.

I actually understand some of these reasons. People read all about getting a bird and really the reality of it is totally different from what you think or read especially if you are a first time owner.

I read everything before we got ours and nothing prepared me for the shock of what they were actually like. Yes we did have discussions about giving them up at times when we felt we were in too deep.

I think the only difference between us and others who give them up is that we were willing to do anything to change things, like go on a training course, trying new things and most of all the fact that we made the commitment to get them and couldn't break this commitment.

Yes you are right we go into parenthood the same way but there is a major difference....there is loads of support for being a parent and you are actually shown how to take care of your baby.

There is nothing like that for a bird owner, to actually be shown what to do and how to take care of them.

Personally I would rather see someone give up their bird if they found they couldn't cope with it, so that it could go to a loving home rather than spend the rest of it's life in misery.

If you look on You Tube and the likes the only thing you see if you type in "parrot" are the ones who talk, mimic, dance, do back flips etc etc - they look a great purchase - let them out and they are born entertainers.

Perhaps some of us with "vandalised" property should film some of that and bang it on You Tube - I think some people would definitely reconsider ;)

JillyBeanz wrote:

If you look on You Tube and the likes the only thing you see if you type in "parrot" are the ones who talk, mimic, dance, do back flips etc etc - they look a great purchase - let them out and they are born entertainers.

Perhaps some of us with "vandalised" property should film some of that and bang it on You Tube - I think some people would definitely reconsider ;)

I was just given an oldie but goodie VHS Camcorder, and intended to set it up to record Talula during the day while I'm gone.

I was thinking the SAME thing, it would be good to post videos of misbehaving greys as an awareness campaign. All too many people tell me "well the ones on the internet talk up a storm!" and I'm like "well yeah, how old is it? Was it raised from a chick with the same hosuehold? I mean My birds are essentially abandoned children I got from an orphanage, with tongs of baggage."

I took Phoenix to NC Pride with me this year, what an attention grabber that was. Lots of older couples asked me about him, and I started with "He, like all Greys, does bite" and someone said "Has he bitten you?" and I held out my hands and showed them the bites from the newest one. They asked why do you keep him on your shoulder? I said we have an understanding. Some people seemed to get it, others didn't. And then there were the Sun Conure/Amazon/Macaw owners who came running over saying "it's so great you include your parrot in your activities like this! We bought ours last year!"

Even when I walk the nature trail with phoenix the first thing I tell people is yes, he will bite. He will be more likely to bite if he does not know you and your persistent in trying to touch him. Some people don't listen.

But I DO think this is an excellent idea, we can call it "Real African Grey experiences"

I was quite lucky with my 2. I got them both when they were 12 weeks old from a very good breeder, who taught me a lot before i got them.So i had an idea what to expect, and he kinda vetted me first, but i still had a few suprises in store. I have a sign on their cage which says "our names are Casper and Nelson, and we bite very hard. So please don't poke your fingers in as we don't always appreciate it" And you would be suprised at how many of my friends have been bit, even after they have read the sign and seen the scars on my hands.

So yeah people who have never owned one before are unaware what hard work they can be, and could really do with educating when they start thinking about buying one.

I think your idea is excellent, why don't you give it a go? It would be very interesting to see

While the idea of getting a pet (of any kind) and having to rehome it is an abomination, I would rather see one re-homed than abused, shoved in a cage, in a garage, and then ignored. I watched that with my neighbor next door - a beautiful greenwing macaw in a cage smaller than the one I have my sun conure in. The bird didn't like anyone in the family except the mom so it was put in the garage and kept there. That bird needed to be re-homed.

My neighbor across the street had two lovebirds. One was constantly abusing the other one. Rather than purchase a separate cage for them, she got rid of the aggressive lovebird, purchased another, and now has her pair again. This woman is my friend, however, she didn't do the research, didn't ask the questions, and bought the birds in the worst place in the world - a chain pet store.

The excuses people use are generally exactly that - an excuse. They can't admit they didn't do their homework before deciding on the bird. They didn't look into the reality of how much it would cost to house the pet (a good cage, appropriately sized as opposed to the minimum requirements), the toys it would need, the destruction it can do, the annual expense of food.

They figure, we have/had a dog it can't be that hard. Well it's a totally different world than that of a dog or a cat. You feed the dog, you walk the dog, you take the dog to the vet annually and you play with the dog. All in all you spend less time interacting with your dog than you think you do.

With a bird, there's the food preparation. Yes pellets are easy but for a healthy bird you need fresh fruits and vegetables (read dollar signs here). Figuring I spend the same on one bag of Harrison's as I do a 40 lb. bag of iams for my dogs! The dogs get daily treats, so do the birds. The dogs get toys, but not nearly at the same expense or the same number as the birds do. One stuffed squeaky animal will last Chow 6 months and may cost me $5.00. Dixie's favorite wooden chew lasts less than a month and costs $15.00. I take the dogs (I have 3) to the vet once a year for annual check-ups and a year's supply of flea protection and heartworm meds - total cost $500.00. In two visits to the vet with Beau I've spent almost $800.00 (two weeks!). I'm not complaining about these costs, but for those who get a bird, it may be the difference in them eating or the bird eating, or being taken to the vet.

While the excuses are only excuses (even that of an allergy - unless they landed in something they have never ever been exposed to before) - they are the justifications these people need to make it through the re-homing process and giving the bird a chance at a life with a family that does want it, and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep the bird happy and healthy - like many of the members of this forum have already done. I'm sure they know who they are for having rescued a bird that otherwise might not be with us today.

Maybe that's one of the topics we should be discussing in this forum. Not how much we love our birds, because God knows we all do and we love each other's birds as well, but the expenses that are really involved, the heartache of dealing with one who is not "perfect" like on YouTube and doesn't talk and sing or dance.