NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

screaming grey

lheffer1

Many greys periodically turn their backs on repetition. If he wants a quiet place to stay, allow it. A grey will come eventually come around because of it's curiousity. Just make sure he isn't sick. Sick birds don't socialize, stay in their cages, refuse to talk in their own language as well as human language. He'll tire of the solitude and will mix in soon enough. These types of things go on frequently with much older greys such as yours.

I have an older re-homed Eclectus who is at least 10 years old. He likes to be alone and will scream at night if I forget to turn his lights off and close his door by 7:00 pm. Even though I let him out of his cage he prefers to go from his large cage of a smaller travel cage and sit inside. He is happy has long as he can see me. He enjoys his own company more than others. He was a plucker in a noisy pet store so I believe he just prefers peace and calm. Because he no longer plucks, I respect his wishes as he is free to interact with me if he so wishes.

Dave is very knowledgable and I agree, as long as your grey is healthy I would respect his quiet time and he will most likely rejoin the family when he is ready. Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Room so everyone can say Hi!

Thanks guys! That makes me feel better. He talks to himself and everything when he is in his quiet room, so I guess that he is not sick. He doesn't act sick either. It just makes me nervouse that he is in there alone (wihout a person in sight) most of the day and all night. I was about ready to give up on him. The constant screaming was getting to all of us. We tried time out in the bathtub, but that didn't work. He only learned to say "No screaming-tub". Because I would tell him "No screaming or you will go sit in the tub". And he learned to sound like the timer that I set, so I didn't forget that he was in the tub.

I will trust your opinion that he will tire of this and want to come back out with the family. Again many thanks.

Ginger

Please please dont ever punish your grey in any way,they just dont get it. It just teaches them humans do nasty things to them,I cant think of anything worse than putting a social, sensitive grey in a bath tub,I am sorry but this really upsets me.I have a feeling thats why your grey wants to be alone,he has lost all trust in you.

A forum is a good place to get advice if you don't have other parrot owners to talk to locally. Which most don't and their friends of course don't understand. :-)

Your Grey is certainly a character and I find it very humorous that he quickly learned to imitate timer so you would go and get him sooner. :P

Even at their worst, they still can bring a laugh, smile and awe at their intelligence. :-)

Punishment never works for greys, you have to use positive reinforcement but then you would have known that had you come here sooner, oh well you are here now and we will help you in any way we can to help you turn this grey into a quieter companion that maybe will love to be around his flock. You have to love him though.;)

I hope I did not come across too harsh in my first post,it was not my intention.We are all willing to help in any way we can.Can I suggest a few books that may help you.One is For the love of greys by Bobbi Brinker.Also try and get a copy of The african grey handbook by Mattie Sue Athen.If you can read some of Barbera Heidenrichs work you will get excellent views on positive reinforcement.