NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My poor baby!

Jacobys4Christ

I am in need of some major advice/help. I have a 3 week old Congo African Grey rescued from people who really had no idea what they are doing. Butanyways... Despite trying to increase the number of feedings and increase in amount of food, it still remains no bigger than a 10 day to 2 week old. It's eyes are not open yet, there are no pin feathers...only white fluff. Feet are still white. Beak strangely resembles that of a Timneh...white with black edges. Other than that everything "seems" fine.

I know for a fact that there is no burnt crop. Droppings are normal consistancy. Crop is emptying fully at least once a day if not ALL the time. "Stands" and reacts to the sound of my voice. Cries sound normal.

I am not new to hand-raising, but new to hand-raising on my own. I know a good bit, but there are still some things I haven't experienced and need a little help with. All of my other babies I have hand raised were "normal" but this poor thing is just a big mystery to me.

Any advice as to what might be keeping this poor baby so small and what I might be able to do? Could I be missing something?

Also, I worry about aspiration of food. Is there a sign I need to look for if that is happening? Have never had that problem in training or own my own.

Post edited by: Jacobys4Christ, at: 2009/10/21 08:03<br><br>Post edited by: Jacobys4Christ, at: 2009/10/21 18:53

If you got this bird from a breeder, it needs to be brought back immediately because the weaning process should be done by the seller. There is no way to force a chick to eat more food after the crop is full. As far as the crop emptying once a day, the crop should be empty every time a feeding is beginning, not just once a day. Problems may exist with this bird that originated when it was born. If this bird is a CAG, a whitish beak is abnormal. Not to insult or scold you but anyone who isn't familar with handfeeding shouldn't be using a live animal in order to learn. You don't know how much air is in the bird's lungs when you feed which can cause serious problems. Some bird's pin feathers aren't always visible because of all the fluffy covering.

The crop may look full to you but you have no idea whether the fullness of the crop is because of air mixed with formula or just the formula causing it.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/21 07:49

I realized that you rescued this baby so to return it is probably not going to save it's life. It sounds like you are in over your head though. Please get it to an avian vet asap. Crop infections are very common in these situations. Also if the formula is not proper temp it will take too long to empty from the crop and will sour. The crop should be empty after a few hours of feeding.

The vet might be able to put you in touch with some local rescue people who might be able to take over the hand feeding. It sounds like you are in over your head. Please take it to the vet immediately. It could mean the life of this baby. Please keep up posted.