NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Update on Red

auntphibian

As you know, Red has not been handled much in the 4 years of his life. I can now easily get him out of his cage, as long as I don't do it through the cage door. I lift off the top and can either transfer him to a stand, or reach in and have him step up. From there, he transfers easily to wherever I want him to go. He lays on my chest and gets scritches, which he loves.

I hear him talking up a storm when I've been out of the room for awhile. I walk back in and he stops likes he doesn't know how to speak. Every once in awhile he'll ask me what I'm doing.

Last week I rescued an Umbrella Cockatoo from another smoking home. I just brought her cage in last night, as it was infested with cockroaches in the hollow metal frame and I didn't want that in my house. It took three days to clean out and kill all the roaches and eggs, but the cage is in, so she's happy now.

Today, Gabby, the cockatoo was singing and Red decided to join in. They may end up being good friends, which would be great. Maybe she can teach him that I'm okay!

It's a slow process with Red, but we make progress every day!

Thanks for giving us an update on Red, hadn't heard from you in a while so its good to hear from you again.

Congrats on rescuing another bird, a Utoo and maybe Gabby and Red will be good friends, only time will tell.

Keep up the good work with Red, I know it takes lots of time but it is worth it.

Auntphibian, congrats on the new addition. I too have a rescued U2 - Sterling - and the joy he has brought to our lives is unmeasurable. Especially for my son, LP. I would never have thought a bond could be made so quickly, but they are great together. I'm sure you and Red will enjoy Gabby's interactions more and more every day and Red's progress will help Gabby acclimate to his new home. Karma to you for taking in such a beautiful baby!