NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

metal band

jackyshay

My Grey is banded too, as was my Quaker Parrot I used to have. Isn't it usefull in tracking a lost bird, or tracking the breeder down and finding out information about the bird?

I'm in the military, and the possibility of going overseas is high. Is the band needed for any paperwork going out of the US?

I've never even considered getting the band taken off...<br><br>Post edited by: jessdecutie18, at: 2009/10/20 19:58

Hi Jackyshay - I don't know where you're from - but here in the UK the number is the registration number with the UK Parrot Society - if I could get hold of Harvey's leg I'd tell you what it says - but he hates having his feet touched!

Like Judy says - the bands can cause real trouble - and I think when Harvey goes for his next wellness check I'm going to ask the vet to remove Harvey's, and get him chipped.

The band can cause irritation of the leg but the worst thing is that it can get caught on something and then the leg gets injured or the bird dies from trying to get free from it. I chose not to have my grey banded for that very reason, I have the band in my possession.

An avian vet can remove it, they have the tools to do it without harming your bird, never attempt to try to remove it yourself.

Oh yes I remember, had a momentary lapse but yeah I remember.

You would have to use something to cut the band without harming your bird's leg, maybe Dave007 has an idea of what you can use and how you can do it yourself, you can pm him and ask, be sure to tell him you do not have access to an avian vet.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.