NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

merlin 2 yr anniversary report

sandra902

hello my feathered friends!

it has been inexcusably long since i've been on the boards - my apology. trying to make a living and keep us all in kibble. Katz, Birds, doggy. of course they come first before me! you should see thier grocery list compared to mine. but i digress.

today is merlin's 2 year anniversary at the monkey house. so i will give you a report on our progress with the good the bad and the ugly truth.

no he does not step up. he will consent however to give a dainty tug on my sleeve rather then to growl and hurl himself to the floor as he used to do, so i'll take it!

he loves his dad and i heartily approve. who would have thought 2 years ago this little mess of a man would learn to love or trust anybody.

merlin is King of the Flock which includes milly the mitered conure (whom he will reprove for excessive noise) and peetey the cockatiel who gets cheered on when he has a fly-round.

our merl has definite likes and dislikes (likes: the color yellow, chewable plastic, honeydew melon) (dislikes: too-big toddler wooden toys, pineapple [funny that -it's yellow after all]) and has mamma well-trained to give verbal affirmation to his antics on cue (upside-downy, peek-a-boo, up up up the ladder, down down down the ladder).

talking is good, i sit outside the aviary door when he is practicing his words and phrases and have to cover my mouth so as to not laugh out loud and tip him off.

he corrects himself when he does something of which he knows i do not approve...tugging the curtains, chewing his ladder. he says a solemn and confident 'MERLIN.'

one day i was singing along to some strauss waltzes on the classical channel and he now sings off key and tunelessly in imitation of that. and when he does something silly or embarassing, he will say 'so whaddya call THAT?'

so although he still plucks his feathers (thankfully not down to bare skin) he seems to be happy and well in charge of his situation.

and we are ever so grateful and in wonder of this fine creature with which Fortune has graced us! and as i tell him each morning and evening (and he is working on saying himself) 'i love you every day'. or as he practices it: 'i love you...day.'

so that is my 2-year report on the very fine and fabulous Merlin.

Hi Sandra!!!

It's GreYt hearing a report on Merlin and Congratulations to him on his 2 year B-day! :-)

It sounds like your zoo continues and your all settled into a workable routine as a flock.

Don't be so long in between updates if you can squeeze some time in now and then.

Well it has been a long time since we have heard from the monkey house, I was beginning to think you were never going to come back to us.

Its great to hear that your flock is thriving and happy, I know we have to bust our buns to do it but it is worth every penny.

Thanks for the update on Merlin and the fids but please don't take so long to let us know how you all are doing, we have missed ya and share some pictures if you have any.