NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what a place

JL

I was at the 1st registered parrot sanctuary in England this week and it is wonderful, the birds are so much better off, this is how a rescue centre should look. You can see at www.parrotsanctuary.co.uk

Got to be worth a visit just for the support.

Take care you guys

I may be being a little cynical here but when they say they don't rehome parrots except where the parrot has "Special needs", are they saying that it is a problem bird and they don't want to spend time and money looking after it?

Are they also saying that having a problem bird may affect the turnstile?

Are they also saying that, "If we re-homed all the birds, we wouldn't have any for people to pay £4.60 to come and see?

Guest Otisoo7

NO WAY this parrot sanctuary is NOT necessarily the best place for ALL of the parrots, you can see some of them just don't belong there, they are used to human one-2-one contact and it shows, of course others are happy there and that's fair enough its not a bad place but it isn't wonderful either, it will cost you £4.60 each entrance fee, in my opinion you cant stuff a parrot in an aviary with wild/aviary birds, that is used to living in a house with a human 'mate' then, for whatever reason, whack the poor thing in an aviary with other parrots and think you've done it a favour, for a start they will only re-home birds that they consider suitable, and QUOTE "we don't normally re-home birds here, when they come here they stay except if we find that a bird needs special attention" excuse me don't they all require special attention? parrot sanctuary or not!

a few weeks ago now my African grey escaped his cage and was never seen again :o( the parrot sanctuary was near top of the list as far as searching for him so i visited it and what most concerned me was the craving of attention some of the birds wanted from you..... people who just want a day out with the kids may find it amusing to see such 'tame' birds and get a great deal of enjoyment and lets face it money is needed to fund this sanctuary and money doesn't grow on trees, but i hope this place doesn't lose sight of its aspirations. but i do believe they should re think the re-homing thing through and do what's best for the parrot that is used to close and prolonged human contact.

Guest phishbook

I appears that the place is a registered.......zoo!!!

I recieved a reply this afternoon by email. It is registered with DEFRA as a zoo.

Not registered as a sanctuary at all. Bearing in mind that there is no registration of rescue centres and sanctuaries yet in this country I was a little bemused. Quite clear now though.

Guest phishbook

Not sure exactly, but I have a feeling that this is somehow affilliated with the 'new life parrot rescue'?

Still have no idea who it is registered with, given that as of yet, there is no registration with any governing body for any rescue centres in this country. I have emailed the owners of the rescue and asked them and will let you all know if I get a reply. IIRC I have asked before and never got a reply then either .Not good PR.

Guest phishbook

This is a common philosophy among several so called sanctuaries throughout the country and probably the world too.

Hmm praps I should start charging peeps to come and look at my birdies?

Nobody *wants* to adopt loud bitey conures hehe so I will always have several for viewing. Trouble is that I also have loud bitey doggies so nobody wants to visit me :0(