NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I have a 10+ year old african grey and I need help

Mythologick

My family has had an african grey for about 10 years now, and he has pretty much been my stepfathers bird. However, over the last 10 years he has spent 95% of his time in his cage. He hasn't really gotten ANY attention outside of being fed. Up until recently he has pretty much been abandoned. He has pulled all of his feathers off of his chest/neck/back of his wings for as long as I can remember. I didn't really care back then, but over the last month of unemployment I've been working with the bird and he's starting to grow attached to me and I feel bad for him and want to help him. I have no idea exactly how old he is, my stepdad had him for a few years before he married my mother and now we've had him for at least 7. Someone else sold him to my stepdad before that. He used to know how to step-up however, he has forgotten or is reluctant to do it now. I really want to help this bird become a good african grey. He is very intelligent I can tell. He does a lot of whistles and can say a few words like step-up and come here boy. He also mimicks the phone and whistles I've been doing with him.

Yeah, wall of text right there.

Anyway, depending on how old the bird is, is it too late to start training him to do new things? I want him to re-learn how to step up but I'm having a hard time. He acts like he wants to, but he won't even budge his feet and put them onto my finger/hand. He has started to grow his feathers back a little since I've been working with him which is a sigh of relief for me. I must be doing something right. He lets me pet him on his head and back as well. How can I teach this old grey to do new tricks? Is it too late or does he still have a chance?

Thanks.

Hi Mythologick, Karma to you for wanting to help your family's grey. What is his name? You most certainly can rehabilitate your grey. First you must gain his trust and it sounds like you are well on your way to doing so. There are oodles of threads here that will help you with lots of information that you will need to help you with your grey. Up at the top of the page there is a place that says Forums. Tap into there and you will see different rooms where you will find lots of threads to help you. If you what to find a specific topic just type in "step up" in the search forum box and see what comes up. If you have a specific question, ask and members will try to help you with their experience. You are going to be a great parront to your grey, I just know it! Welcome to the grey family!!

Thanks for having the heart to take in this grey, I think he needs you right now as much as you have needed him and with some time and lots of patience you can make great strides with him.

No he is never too old to learn, probably no one has had him step up in so long he has forgotten but he can learn again.

That is so sad he didn't get any attention for so long, they do require some time every day out of their cage and interaction with their human members of the flock.

We have some members here who have dealt with greys like him before, hopefully some of them will chime in with their advice and suggestions for you, in the meantime read thru as many of the threads as you can for lots of useful information.

Well, I don't know what you mean by tricks but the most important thing here is emotional contact. First make or buy a playstand. It doesn't have to be fancy. If your bird isn't a biter,physically take him out of the cage and put him on top of cage and close the door for a while. See what he does. If he doesn't react in a frantic way, repeat that whole thing over and over until he gets used to you doing it. As he relaxes more, do the same thing and put him on the stand. More than likely, he;ll fly or jump off. Pick him up and put him basck on the stand. Don't have thick types of toys hanging on the stand. A large knotted rope that's usually used for tug of war is good. Keep cage around the cage so he can see the cage but can't jump on it. If he doesn't accpt it do it again. He more than likely will take quite a while to get used to these things. If he's on the top of cage or playstand, give him a natural item to eat such as almonds. or other nuts. At first, take them out of the shell. If he eventually accepts them, give the almond unshelled. See what happens. He probably won't acept it or may just drop it, so go back to shelled nuts. It doesn't matter right now.

As far as retraining the stepping up, go to a quiet enclosed room--just you and him. put him on the floor. If he's not a biter, pet the top of the feet and start pressing your finger under the foot saying step up. He probbly won't do it so repeat the whole thing on a daily basis until he gets used to you and what you're doing. If he finally steps up to your fingers and accepts it, hold him there there without lifting him in the air. Just bring him up about 10 inches. Put him back on the floor. Do the process again. Do the same lifting and start to bring him higher and higher. When he'll stay with you when you're standing, just walk around the room and put him back on the floor. Repeat again. Finally bring him slowly and steadily out of the room and put him on the playstand and give a reward---actually a couple of rewards --2 po3 3 nuts, The next day do the whole thing all over again.

Idon't know what he eats but try to giva a variety of things beggies, some fruit once in a while, some pellets and asanothr treat, a warm scoop of flavored oatmeal. Just remember that you're dealing with a bird that's 10 or more years old and it WILL TAKE LOTS OF TIME.

PS--if he is a biter, all of those things in that room can be first done with a small perch and he'll eventually accept your fingers

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/14 23:20<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/14 23:23

I don't have any experience to offer, but I do believe that your interactions are the best tonic this guy could have. The time you are spending with him is a lifeline and he is intelligent enough to understand that you are his friend. Thank you for taking time to give him some hope with your care and concern.

Its never to late to teach a older parrot to donew tricks. If he's letting you pet him THAT in itself is a plus! I'd say listen to your heart. Keep up with the good praises and snuggles. It'll get you far. Maybe your not pressing in the right spot for him to step up. Try going under his belly where the legs meet and press up there. Its like second nature for the bird to want to step up because they don't like anything to block them from a means of escape. Best wishes and Ceasar nibbles,

Rhonnie N Ceasar

Guest jamalbirdbiz

All birds can be rehabbbed. It just takes luv. B) My little girl, Molly, waz fully plucked when my wife rezqued her from a near sertan death at our vets. she was brought in by her old "owner" who bread her, but she was not yeelding viable eggz anymore for him so he waz going to "put her down. :evil:

I have had her for over two yearz and she now sayz my name (Jamal{ she says her brothers name (marvingrey) and she luvz to go on errandz with me while harnezzed and most of alll she lovez lowriding with me and marvin Grey.

bezt of alll she is a fullfeathered gurl and she wares it well. :P no more plucking.

she stilll goez after strange guys with long hair which is because the last guy who 'owned' her was a long haired guy and he miss treated her. :evil:

just hang in there brotha and teach away. soon ur grey will be ur bestest companion ever. :silly:

Keep up the good work and love and patience you are giving to your grey. Dave has given you excellent advice on the basic trust levels of working with the grey. That you get on his level, you earn his trust from this level and then you progress. This is the true way to build a relationship with your grey and it be rewarded in simple ways - like stepping up when you ask him to. It's never to late to love a grey.

Don't expect miracles, as with any bird, trust and acceptance may be all you ever get. Don't put a time on when you expect to see results - they can happen from overnight to over a year. Your bird has a history that must be overcome and will take a lot of time. Love makes more progress than any other technique and of course with love you always have patience.<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/10/15 18:28