NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Experiment 101

Falconeer

Hello All,

After my experiences with BooBoo, I was kinda at the verge of giving up (Thanks Fairy!). I then decided to experiment with a few things:

1. I would come home from work and have about 4-6 hours before bedtime each evening. So I made sure I am just sitting with my two parrots (BooBoo-CAG, and Cheech-Ring-neck). Cheech would get very excited now when I am working on the laptop and just wants to see what's all the fun about. BooBoo is quieter.

2. Cheech started talking, but the amazing thing is he is barely 4 months old. He is practiving speech as we speak.

Heres what I did: On the laptop, I made a few recordings of BooBoo playing and making noises when alone (he makes about 60-70 noises now). I was just playing them and I noticed him getting excited. Lasty night he even came down closer to see the screen and I put his pictures on it and was talking to him. We talked for an hour that way.

Cheech just loves to hear other ringnecks on the laptop. I did this thing with him as well (just sound recordings, not videos I found on the internet) he just started mumbling and whistling last night.

Lemme get those files to anyone who needs top try.

Falconeer.

NOTE: Te file belongs to someone else. I just want to thank the person who made it.

Here's a video with Alex the African Grey that has a segment about a web browser they're using to entertain him (scroll down to Entertaining Parrots). He can use it to listen to music, watch videos, etc. I believe it's the last segment of the program, if I remember correctly. The whole thing is good though, so I recommend watching all of it :).

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1201/video/watchonline.htm?user8=pbs-saf&template8=publishmain.html&query8=scientific+america n&squery8=squery%3D%252BClipID%3A4%2B%252BVideoAsset%3Apbssaf1201&select7=2670149&submit8=GO