NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with beak questions!What about beak trimming?

babybeaky

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm getting beakys nails trimmed tomorrow and I was interested in knowing what everyone point of view is on getting a cags beak trimmed. Is it painful at all?? :ohmy: Should I just let her trim it on her own?? Any input would be most helpful! Thank you all.

Nails do grow and they either get trimmed by the owner or by a vet but beaks don't come into that catagory. A beak is only done if it's necessary ( meaning that the beak is overgrown). Look at it as a medical procedure. Almost all birds file their own beaks down.

It is far better to give your Beaky lots of woody things to chew. perches and a climbing frame that he can grip with his claws. Although parrots will climb around their cages their claws are not used to grip the cage bars. Parrots will naturally trim their own beak and claws if they have the right kinds of perches. Give him different and rough shaped and sized fruit tree branches as this will also help condition their feet. Don't give him wood treated with fungicides or preservatives as these would be toxic. Straight dowel type perches are not ideal. Also consider that Greys need reasonably sharp claws to grip when they land on a perch. Remember they don't go to a beak and claw trimming parlour in their natural environment.

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/10/12 14:39