NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Buying CAG eggs

Ma12cus504

Yes, you can purchase "Live" eggs. But unless you are setup with a proper incubator w/humidity control and are highly experienced doing it, I would not reccomend trying it at all.

Also, you would need to verify as Talon indicated that it is a known, reputable dealer that has great reviews.

Guest briansmum

i think that's quite cruel. don't most breeders leave hatchlings with their parents for a few weeks as their parents are more likely to get the feeding right? surely if you buy an egg you're just asking for heartache.

p.s. tari i love your avatar :)

My Breeder has 2 hawk headed conure eggs in her incubator that she purchased to start a new breeding line.

From what I understand about the Hawk headed Conure story, is that many kill the babies right after they are born..weird, but I guess thats a reason to do this.

They have a Macaw pair they hatched themsleves also from purchased eggs

Guest briansmum

yeah i suppose so, you would have to know 100% what you were doing though, and given that just anyone can sell anything online, ANYONE can buy them too, u just hope whoever selling them is careful

xxbeccyxx wrote:

yeah i suppose so, you would have to know 100% what you were doing though, and given that just anyone can sell anything online, ANYONE can buy them too, u just hope whoever selling them is careful

Beccy ,

You are 100% correct :-)

Both ends must be highly professional and very experienced at what they are doing or the transaction should never take place.

Guest Monique

In my understanding if you allow birds to mate and pull the eggs then you are likely to get more eggs from them, which can also be difficult on the females as that means more calcium from their body to produce the egg.

Now I am not an expert on this subject so I may be wrong but except for exception cases with good reason that some have noted above this doesn't seem like the best of ideas to me. Pulling them at a few weeks and hand-rearing from that age is enough of a messing with Mother Nature in my book.

Sounds logical, Monique, I had a finch that would keep laying eggs and it eventually kills her, she lays herself to death. But I would be leary of buying eggs that way, like Dan said, only highly professional and very experienced people who know what they are doing.

Finchs are egg laying factories !:woohoo:

We've had finches for around 7 years and started with 2, became 5 in a hurry and last count was close to 30 :ohmy:

I had to buy a humongous cage to house all those finch's.

We finally figured out that we needed to take some of the nests out :laugh:

sorry...got off topic here :ohmy:

We just left 2 nests in the Cage versus 6 before.

Then they had to take turns ...kind of like musical chairs on who gets the nest next.

BUT, they still lay eggs everywhere!! Find them in the food dishes, bottom of cage, water bowl etc.

But, they are all cute little guys and if they fly out of their cage, the only thing on their mind is how to get back in it :-) We learned this by accident, but found later that is just how they are wired...

Hey danmcq.

From where are you again? Do these finches live in the wild where you are staying. Here in South Africa they do live in the wild, we have about five of them in our tree next to the house. They always come back to their own nests, and always have the same mates.

If they have a nice place to stay they will never leave.

Just a piece of useless info.;)

Hi Ice,

I am in the USA.

These are Zebra Finches and are not native to this country. They actually are from Australia and thrive there in huge flocks.

But, here in my home, they thrive in their large cage :-)

I love having and watching birds in there natural habitat, as you are describing.

And you don't need a cage to watch them!! Ho:woohoo: w cool is that!

We do have Humming Birds native to here, that we enjoy watching as they drink the nectar out of the feeder we have on the patio.

I can not imagine the sights you see of nature in Africa....It has been a long time dream of my wife and I to come for a very long visit there.