NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question????

Tycos_mom

I took Darius to get his nails done this morning and its about a 45 minute drive. He obviously gets car sick because he threw up 3 times on the way to the groomers. he was better on the way back because we stopped at a few places to visit a little and of course he was the center of attenions. I was wondering if anyone knows if bird that get car sick will alwys get car sick or can they get over it by taking them for more short trips. So they get used to it. I'd really like to take Darius out more but I don't want him to get car sick I'm sure its not good for him<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/10/10 00:30

Yes, your reasoning is right on target. Many short trips with the window open about 1 inch in a cage in which the bird can look left, right and backwards. Do small trips on relatively smooth roads. Use only one perch in the cage but keep it relatively close to the bottom ( 3 inches ). If you know that there is a certain time in which you're leaving, make sure the bird doesn't eat a lot. Don't put any food in the cage even if you know that you're gonna take a long trip. Keep a small amount of water in the cage. Repeat this whole process over and over and gradually increase your distance. A 45 min drive means that you traveled approx 30 miles. Keep your bird in the front passenger seat if possible. If not, make sure that wherever the cage is, it doesn't slide around. Talk to the bird. Try it out. Many people have success doing this.

Short trips don't frighten a bird as much as a long trip.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/10/10 01:05

Guest jamalbirdbiz

My greyz love to spend their days lowriding. I just keep the old skhool rap playing and they just hang out and chillax. B)

They liked it from the start. u mite have to eaze ur grey into it a litttle bit at a time.

Thank you Dave and everybody else that shared there experiance with me. Inguess iwill start with short trips to the store and things like that. I have 2 thanks giving dinners to go to this weekend and both are about 20 minutes drive from my house so maybe I'll start with that and see how it goes it may be a little far but he didn't get sick comeing home that far today after we visited a few places and I sang to him and turned the music up for him which seemed to really help him relax. I think he actyally enjoyed it. He probably thought he was going to another new home today because thats the only time he's ever been in a car is when he was being rehomed poor guy was stressed I'm telling you the minute I said ok time to go home was when he finally relaxed and started to enjoy himself.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/10/10 21:20

Oh Pat I'm glad Darius finally enjoyed his ride home. To think that his nervousness was due to thinking that you were re-homing is so very sad. He must have been so afraid. I hope now he understands that you would never do that to him and he is home forever. I so much enjoy reading your posts about your flock. It is so very clear that they are each and everyone so very loved. If we had a parront of the year award you certainly have my vote!

Pat, My little bird has been on some long car trips, more than 12 hours. She used to swing her head from side to side and vomit even on short trips, but I covered her cage with a black fleece blanket and uncovered just one side that let her see me the whole time and that is her best way to ride comfortably in the car. She is very very quiet still in the car but blocking out some of the overstimulating stuff seemed to be the magic solution in her case. Good luck with Darius becoming your co-pilot.

Josey rides very well, we go on trips to visit my son and they are 4+ hours one way and she plays and rings her bell and has taken to talking some on the trips but Sunny is different. I don't like to take her on long trips as she doesn't take it as well, even throwing up a couple of times but shorter trips she handles better.