NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ceiling fan

kyparamedic

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything about this. My room is the hottest in the house and during the daytime can get quite uncomfortable, for me at least. I have a ceiling fan that I haven't used since I got my CAG due to the issue of drafts. However, since it's gotten so hot and I don't want to keep the A/C set really low so the rest of the house is freezing I'd like to use my ceiling fan. Her cage is not directly under it but you can feel it where she is. Is it safe to run it or will the draft be really bad? I can cover her cage at night. Also, her wings are clipped so there's no risk of her flying into it.

Thanks,

Andrew

The draft may not be bad for her but it could be fatal for her if she flew up and into the fan. I would use extreme caution in using the ceiling fam, why don't you get a floor fan, at least they have a grill on them so she cannot get into the blades.

We have ceiling fans, and Talon does not have her wings clipped. I never run them on high! But I will put them on med. of low. She never goes near them, and the draft is so small, that in the summer it doesn't bother her. I'd never use them in the winter though.

Guest briansmum

i still wouldn't run them while she is out, but when she is in the cage there is no reason why you can't have them on, she may appreciate the breeze if it's really warm! greys can overheat very quickly. i have a fan (with a cover) in my bedroom and when brian is up there with me he likes to sit where that can reach him.. he also likes it when i put my hair dryer on cool and point it at him. i think they appreciate a cool blast from time to time

Guest Monique

We use a ceiling fan while the bird is not out. If he is out then it is either off or on the slow almost non-existent speed. Draft problems are more of an issue, in my opinion, if it's freezing cold air coming in a door or something vs. just some fresh air moving around.

I think maybe there's a difference between moving the air around in a room (like a fan does) and drafts (an incoming flow of air)?